C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing Door with replacement skin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 11:47 PM
dsagers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fixing Door with replacement skin?

Several months ago had a guy back his Toyota truck into the driver side door. The door is gouged and broken in a couple of places.

Purchased what I thought was a door skin, tuned out to be a door shell with the metal frame attached. Since the metal frame is beat up and rusty, I’m not going to use it. The fiberglass part is good.

Without destroying the skin, is it possible to remove the skin off the frame so I can put it on my original door frame? Or, should I just use the replacement door to make patches for the broken door by cutting out the broken sections and glassing them into the original door?
Old 03-27-2003, 07:53 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Fixing Door with replacement skin? (dsagers)

Although I've never done it I believe the door skins are only glued on to the frame. You should be able to get a body panel knife between the old skin and the frame and tap it around to separate the skin from the frame. You can get new door skins from places like Mid America or Ecklers. I think the price in Mid America was $399. If you sell the door you have now you can put it toward the new skin and save yourself the hassel of separating two panels.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:23 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

the fiberglass skin can be removed but it is a bit tedious. If you use a heat gun or a propane torch you can release the epoxy. Place the door with the skin side down and heat the metal frame and you can easily release the skin. Carefully work your way around the sides and bottom using a very thin putty knife. The really tough part is at the top. It is bonded at the very top edge as well as down inside and around the handle. To have access to these areas you may want to cut the top 6" or so from the metal door shell. Then you can apply heat on the brace that is inside the door. I just did this job last week and practiced on a bad skin first (which I damaged badly). The second skin was removed with no damage. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.Good Luck, Craig :cheers:
Old 03-27-2003, 09:50 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With general prices for a good used bare door in the $100 range, why mess with this at all? Just buy a good door and swap out all your innards.

Shannon
Old 03-27-2003, 11:32 PM
J75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fixing Door with replacement skin? (sb69coupe)

With general prices for a good used bare door in the $100 range, why mess with this at all? Just buy a good door and swap out all your innards.

Shannon
:iagree: Thats what I did.

Get notified of new replies

To Fixing Door with replacement skin?

Quick Reply: Fixing Door with replacement skin?