C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Dk Met Grn 80 L82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rubber Bushings

How do I know when to replace suspension rubber bushings?
Many look dry and cracked (spring bushings) but when I push on them they feel solid. I plan to systematically replace over time but I want to prioritize.

Also, which ones should be considered first. :auto:
Old 03-26-2003, 10:26 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Rubber Bushings (Dk Met Grn 80 L82)

Do you meant the control arm bushings? The top ones usually go way before the bottoms. And you can tell if they are shot. If they look cracked, have missing portions, etc., they need to be replaced. You can do the tops, without the bottoms, and vice versa. But don't do one side and not the other. This will lead to crappy/scary handling.

The job itself is not technically difficult. But removing and reinstalling can be a real job, better left to someone with an industrial press.

:cheers:
Old 03-27-2003, 10:26 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

The bushings, especially the ones in the lower a-arms, can be bad without any visible signs - the lower ones are tough to detect , since they can look okay with the a-arm in the car, but once you get them out, they can actually be competely shot. If you have original bushings in a 25-year-old car, the bushings are not in good shape.

The job is pretty straight forward, and you can do it all yourself with a few basic tools - no press is required. You can check out our CCC Front End & Suspension Job with photos of the whole process and a detailed step-by-step instruction (on page 2 of the post) at:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=494900
Old 03-27-2003, 03:42 PM
79Corvette02
Le Mans Master

Has anyone had experience with polygraphite bushings in the rear suspension? It sounds horrible, with ear splitting squeaks coming from it, and I think it's because it wasn't compressed (no load on bushings before being tightened, then having weight applied after)before everything was torqued down. It drives me mental, but I don't feel like loosening everything up and trying to correc the previous owners mistakes..ugh....
Old 03-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Koz

Default Re: Rubber Bushings (lars)

The job is pretty straight forward, and you can do it all yourself with a few basic tools - no press is required. You can check out our CCC Front End & Suspension Job with photos of the whole process and a detailed step-by-step instruction (on page 2 of the post) at:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=494900
Lars, Nice write-up.. I printed it so I can read it in the reading room.. :D
The work was done on a C2.. right? Are the steps the same for a C3? Thanks :cheers:
Old 03-27-2003, 04:47 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Rubber Bushings (79Corvette02)

Has anyone had experience with polygraphite bushings in the rear suspension? It sounds horrible, with ear splitting squeaks coming from it, and I think it's because it wasn't compressed (no load on bushings before being tightened, then having weight applied after)before everything was torqued down. It drives me mental, but I don't feel like loosening everything up and trying to correc the previous owners mistakes..ugh....
Because they were not lubricated properly during install. New poly is practically squeekless.
Eddie
Old 03-27-2003, 08:52 PM
79Corvette02
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the info Eddie. I heard that White Lithium Powder is the way to go? :confused: I'll have to turn this into a big project...since I'm loosening everything up, I might as well swap out these ridiculous gears....might as well get new _________(<---insert upgrade here)...blah blah. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Dk Met Grn 80 L82
Instructor

Default Re: Rubber Bushings (lars)

Great writeup Lars. The lower bushings are shot, so I am going to replace the lower, upper, all ball joints, shocks, and repack the front bearings. Hopefully she should be good for awhile after that. All rubber listed was about 12 years old. :party:

Get notified of new replies

To Rubber Bushings

Quick Reply: Rubber Bushings