C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mickey Thompsen tires...good for street? will they fit stock rallys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Mickey Thompsen tires...good for street? will they fit stock rallys?

do they make tires that are good for street use? how about fitting a stock steel wheels?
Old 03-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Mickey Thompsen tires...good for street? will they fit stock rallys? (eleven79)

What are you using them for? 'Stop-Light Grand Prix'? Are you talking about the 'S/S' 'stickey Mickeys'? I've seen guys run low-13s on these type of street tires, but on wet roads,..... I ran a similiar-type tire (McCreary 'DIRT') on my Z28 (13.30s @ 104 MPH) for two seasons (to the strip & back, and the ocassional Dairy Queen-run). DEFINITELY not for every-day, high-mileage use (at least the McCreary's weren't).
Old 03-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mickey Thompsen tires...good for street? will they fit stock rallys? (eleven79)

Even though they are DOT , not really recommended for street.. Get an extra set of rims and swap em at the track...Bring a lock and chain. :eek:
Old 03-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Mickey Thompsen tires...good for street? will they fit stock rallys? (Clink69)

that's the answer i'm looking for...just like that Mickey Thompsen name! looks really really cool with the raised white letters! i'm just cruiser, not going to the track...prob go with some Radial T/A's but just like the looks of those tires. i'd be willing to save for them if they were good street tires, but that doesn't sound like the case.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:55 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm running 28x11.5x15 Mickey Thompson ET Streets and have them mounted to my car at all times now. If you get caught in the rain with these babies you might as well baby it the rest of the way home at 25mph. I switched to the ET Streets (basically a racing slick) because I'm tired of spinning the tires coming off the line and when shifting gears.

My car probably only sees about 4,000 - 5,000 miles a season and never sees the rain so it's not a big deal for me. Wouldn't recommend the tires for a daily driver. However, if you want a tire that will hookup coming of the line Mickey Thompson tires are the way to go.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:18 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:seeya I'm running "Mickey Thompson" Sportsman I... L-60x15. :yesnod: They handle the rain very well and if I feather the gas a bit at launch traction is good as well. :D :steering:
Old 03-27-2003, 08:15 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Mickey Thompsen tires...good for street? will they fit stock rallys? (bence13_33)

Sportsman Pro's are another good compromise. They are the same wrinkle wall construction as the ET streets but have a tread pattern to appease the law officers more and take away the slick look but they still hook really well and don't squeal. Their life is about 5000 miles. I also found they didn't seem to sway quit as much as the ET streets.

Get notified of new replies

To Mickey Thompsen tires...good for street? will they fit stock rallys?

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompsen tires...good for street? will they fit stock rallys?