C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when rear end parts break / ever wreck?

Old 03-26-2003, 07:43 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What happens when rear end parts break / ever wreck?

I will be making some pretty good power when I get this version of the motor back together, should be close to 625-650 HP on the motor and another 150 on the NOS.

I am afraid of wreaking the car if I break a spindle or a u-joint, etc. Any body have any real world experiance, or worse wrecked because of this.

I have half shaft loops and a forged axels (and other stuff) just wondering
Old 03-26-2003, 07:47 PM
chewy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What happens when rear end parts break / ever wreck? (69 N.O.X. RATT)

Be worried; If it breaks you basiclly loose the rear suspension. That is the reason NHRA banned IRS's in cars with any HP.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:34 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: What happens when rear end parts break / ever wreck? (chewy)

I broke a half shaft and did the logical thing. I unbolted it and drove it easy all the way home. I've broken the cases on two posi units and drove it to the repair shop.

The worst thing ever was when rocks and gravel wedged between the wheel and the rear caliper. It then ripped the caliper off of the trailing arm and locked the right rear solid. I had some directional control problems wondering what was up. I was going about 70 mph and it came to a screaching hault in the middle of the track. It was more of an odd feeling because I didn't understand what was going on and why it couldn't move in forward or reverse. It took a cutting torch and a great big hammer to remove the tire and wheel.

I think that a tire blow out at speed would really cause pucker :lol:
Old 03-26-2003, 08:56 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 181 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Re: What happens when rear end parts break / ever wreck? (69 N.O.X. RATT)

Ask Clink69
Old 03-26-2003, 09:13 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: What happens when rear end parts break / ever wreck? (foundvettelifeisgood)

I've broke 2 inner axles.

The 1st was where in rides on the bearing inside the differential so I just rode to a stop.

The 2nd broke outside the differential and allowed the halfshaft to swing around underneath (go to the rear suspension section of my website, you'll see the nick to the leaf spring before the halfshaft loops). This time allowed the top of the wheel to flip in & out and locked up the wheel.

Both times I called Triple A and waited for the flatbed to take me home :rolleyes:
Old 03-26-2003, 11:08 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not mind breaking stuff, I just don't want to cash in on the life insurance policy yet.

Get notified of new replies

To What happens when rear end parts break / ever wreck?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happens when rear end parts break / ever wreck?