C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I recover the serial # on my block?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How can I recover the serial # on my block?

The block was resurfaced by a previaous owner and the numbers were wiped off. My engine builder told me about a guy who used some acid material to make the impression visible again.

Does anyone know how or where this can be done? If this is ideed the correct block for my car and I can proove it, that would add alot of value to it:)

Thanks,
~Jay
Old 03-26-2003, 02:39 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: How can I recover the serial # on my block? (Jay M)

JayM,
Between you and me (and a few hundred others that might read this) just get it restamped. ...redvetracr

PS: No one will admit to it but the NCRS guys restamp stuff all the time.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:08 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How can I recover the serial # on my block? (redvetracr)

Acid can be used to raise the numbers. It is a tedious process and has to be perfectly. This will only allow you to riase the numbers if the block has not been deck too much. Generally, the acid will make the numbers visible to verify the block, but the acid generally continues to eat at the block (even when this technique is done well).

Police crime labs use the same technique to raise serial numbers that have been filed off guns, etc.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: How can I recover the serial # on my block? (Robert N)

Police crime labs use the same technique to raise serial numbers that have been filed off guns, etc.
That was the case with my engine builder. One of his customers had his car stolen and the car was found without the engine. Years later the police found the engine recoverd the serial number and returned the engine to it's rightful owner.

I would like to do this to be sure that my block is correct before I restamp it.
Do you know how I can do this?

~Jay
Old 03-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

By me, there is a performance shop that has done this. I would start with them. Calling the police department might even be an option. If they will not do it, they may give you the nam of an independent shop.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: How can I recover the serial # on my block? (Robert N)

Hi Robert,

Can you give me their number? They may know where I can go in CA to have it done.

Thanks,
~Jay
Old 03-26-2003, 04:06 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jay

I don't know if it would be worth the time and trouble. I think numbers matching is a bit overrated, unless it is an unmolested car.

You can get the block restamped, but they can be fairly easy to detect these. The broach marks on the block tend to be the give away.

On your web page you state the car has a state vin number, to me, that means it was either a salvage or a thief recovery. I would be more concerned about that, if I was buying.

Just my opinion
Terry
Old 03-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: How can I recover the serial # on my block? (trw)

Yes that is another problem, but the number issued was the same as the origional VIN. I think there is a legal way to replace the VIN plate. It would be pointless to have the correct block number if the car isn't correct, it would also be pointless to have the car correct if the engine is wrong.

But if both could be legally and ethically fixed then that would add significant value to the car. As it is now the REAL value is in driving it! but it would be nice if some day when I need to sell it I could get the most out of it.

Matching numbers may indeed be a bit over rated, but it make the car a LOT easier to sell.

~Jay
Old 03-26-2003, 05:01 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Here is my opinion.

A re-stamped block is a re-stamped block, even if the numbers that were re-stamped are the same that originally occupied that space.

Get notified of new replies

To How can I recover the serial # on my block?

Quick Reply: How can I recover the serial # on my block?