C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Fluid on Underside of Hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power Steering Fluid on Underside of Hood

I had my car in the shop recently for a front end rebuild and one of the jobs done was replacing the p/s hoses. The car was sent out (2miles) for an alignment. When I received the car, the steering was tight. When driving, the wheel was firm and on cornering, it was hard and then "gave up" and threw to the steering side. On straights, I did a slolam and the steering was very delayed. On arrival at home, I noticed p/s fluid on the underside of the hood and an empty p/s reservoir. The cap is wet. What could this be? A busted seal because the tank was not filled after installing the hoses?

I've driven it since and it steers fine but I still get fluid on the underside of the hood once I refilled it.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid on Underside of Hood (70454)

Is the power steering fluid on the underside of the hood inline with the power steering pump pulley? If so, I think your pump driveshaft seal is shot and the pulley is flinging the fluid around the engine compartment inline with the pulley. The seal is internally lubricated with power steering fluid. If it is run dry for any length of time, the sealing lip on the seal will quickly wear out. Also there is a bushing behind the seal that supports the driveshaft. It can be quickly scored and "burned up" if it is run dry.

I think you need a new power steering pump.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:26 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power Steering Fluid on Underside of Hood (Jim Shea)

:iagree: Which hoses were replaced? it is possible that they were not tightened correctly and the leaking fluid is being blown around by the fan but the pump is a good bet. I just replaced my hoses, pump and steering cylinder over the past 2 weeks and there are a number of places for leaks. Sounds like they screwed up the job. If you can't get them to pay for it, you may want to tackle it yourself. It is not hard, just a dirty job and it will be done right. My first rule of thumb is keep the Vette away from mechanics. I will bring modern cars to them but they seem to screw-up the Vette.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:46 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid on Underside of Hood (R. Bruno)

Could be something as simple as a loose or bad p/s cap...had to replace mine once....also is the fluid in line with p/s pump/hoses??? Oil like fluid on the hood can also be caused by the ac comp ....that is of course if you have ac.
Don't hestitate to bring it back. If there is something wrong with the install, steering failure could cause an unfortunate event. :eek:
Old 03-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Power Steering Fluid on Underside of Hood (Jim Shea)

From the pattern on the hood, I'm leaning towards a dry reservoir. The belts are slinging fluid.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:16 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Power Steering Fluid on Underside of Hood (70454)

As we are talking about PS components,maybe i could ask a question.
Should the pressureline fitting on the PS pump be able to move?
Sorry if this is considered a HiJacking
:cheers: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Fluid on Underside of Hood

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid on Underside of Hood