C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alt-2 wire/1 wire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 10:19 AM
blacksharkL82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alt-2 wire/1 wire?

my 79 has a 2 wire alt,42 amp(?), i want to switch to a higer amp alt.
will i need to do anything besides regular installation? and if the higher amp alt has only 1 wire, what is to be done with the other one?
whch one do i connect to the new alt?
thanks for helpping a dummie.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: alt-2 wire/1 wire? (blacksharkL82)

Most high amp alternators are 1-wire alternators. You do not need to connect the brown wire to the 1-wire alternator, but you still can, it doesn't make any difference. The 1-wre alternators have an rpm cut in point the needs to be exceed before the alternator will energize and begin charging. On an engine with around a stock 3:1 pully ratio, this is usually around 800 engine rpm. Once the cut in point is exceeded, the alternator will continue to charge until the ignition is shut off.

With high amp alternators, consider the fact that although they will provide a higher output, they also typically provide loweer outputs at lower speeds. If you're just cruising around town at regualr cruise rpms, it's possible that the output of a highoutput alternator will actually be lower than a lower output alternator. It's best to select an alternator that supplies the amperage needed within the intended operating rpm, not just based on the peak output. A 140 amp alternator may work better than a 200 amp alternator for a street application as a result. the manipulation of pulley ratios is also helpful in ensuring the alternator is supplying the amperage needed, but overspinning the alternator does create heat, shorten it's lifespan, and parasitic loss is higher.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:21 PM
blacksharkL82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: alt-2 wire/1 wire? (blacksharkL82)

thanks for the info. i'll becareful of what i do with the alt. pulley dia.
the reason i'm doing this is the head light system i installed is a big drain.
80 watt low beam 120 high+ the secondary high beams are 120 watt also.
the volt meter goes to the left real hard with the high beams on.
but nobody and i mean nobody drives at me with thier highs on for long. its impossible for oncomming to see and that's the point. i was tired of these nobodys with miss adjusted driving lights blinding me. you know the type i'm talking about. just my way of fighting back for my sanity. yes, i know i could burn my vette up in a hurry but i don't leave them on long enough to get hot.
as my tee shirt says," pay back is a bitch".
mike
Old 03-27-2003, 09:35 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: alt-2 wire/1 wire? (Monty)

Don't get a one wire Alt!
The don't / cant regulate properly. They are made for street rods who care moe about looks than performance...

They regulate at the alt rather than at the junction sense point and you WILL loose a volt or two that way...

Get a good heavy duty alt, Tuff Stuff make a good one ( chrome even)
But wire it in properly...

BTW I mean a one wire alt vs a three wire alt, I've never seen a two wire alt...

[Modified by 427V8, 8:36 PM 3/27/2003]
Old 03-28-2003, 07:52 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: alt-2 wire/1 wire? (427V8)

:iagree: Mine is a Proform and if I remember right it's a 100 amp (been a while). Works great, looks good.

Get notified of new replies

To alt-2 wire/1 wire?

Quick Reply: alt-2 wire/1 wire?