C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment question "during" front end rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 07:08 AM
SLO RDE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment question "during" front end rebuild.

Hello everybody, I plan on ripping into my front end as soon as I can I get the Slo Rde into the drive way.Control arm bushings, new springs and everything else that goes with it.Now I know I need a alignment after the job is done but I watched this front end rebuild video I got from Eastwood (good video by the way shows a lot).Anyways the guy starts showing how to make sure everthing is in line when your done.Do I really need to worry about this when I'am done?I want to have the car towed to the alignment shop when its done so I don't see any damage done.Also I plan on a new glass sping in the back with new strut rods.So does that fall under a 4 wheel alignment at the shop? I just want to know what to expect when I get there I don't want somebody telling me its all wrong and they will fix it for so much money.I just want a quick look over and the alignment without getting ripped.Thanks for any advice on this beforehand I just get the feeling this is going to be a BIG job and want to have everything covered.Thanks Dale :flag
Old 03-26-2003, 08:06 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Alignment question "during" front end rebuild. (SLO RDE)

You will need a 4 wheel alignment although they can do little to the back other then set the camber. Toe is a whole other problem.
As for the front you are replaceing the bushing, no adjustment here, the ball joints again no adjustment, the tie rod ends, measure the old length and try to make the new length the same or close. So other then toe you are not able to adjust anything.
At the alignment shop they will replace the shims between the frame and upper A arm to set caster and camber. Mark the old ones when you take it apart and replace them for now.
If the alignment shop is close you could drive there as long as the toe did not get tooo screwed up. Look at the front wheels and if they look parallel to the side of the car drive it there.
Like I said other then the toe in the back everything else is easy to adjust.
Good luck.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:24 AM
SLO RDE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alignment question "during" front end rebuild. (norvalwilhelm)

Thanks for the advice. The only thing I was worried about you covered was the tie rod lenth.I'am thinking you measure the lenth of the rod with the tie rods on from end to end and put in the same lenth with the new tie rods on right?What about the Idler arm anything there I need to worry about? Besides that I think I'am on point.One more thing I see some guys have a hard time getting new springs to seed in the right way? I just plan on putting the new ones in the same way the old ones came out. Anything else to add on that? Thanks again Dale
Old 03-26-2003, 09:51 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Alignment question "during" front end rebuild. (norvalwilhelm)

As for the front you are replaceing the bushing, no adjustment here, the ball joints again no adjustment, the tie rod ends, measure the old length and try to make the new length the same or close.

I would like to clarify things here: Two things: when you pull the shim pack from the upper control arms, you want to keep the shims intact with a rubber band or masking tape. Mark them for which side they came out of so that when you reassemble you can put them where they belong. Next, when doing tie rod ends, you COUNT THE TURNS you unscrew each from the sleeve and turn the new ones in the same number of turns.

After reassembling the car there's no reason you cannot drive to the aligment shop if it's done right. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment question "during" front end rebuild.

Quick Reply: Alignment question "during" front end rebuild.