C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Points/condenser ignition question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 06:29 AM
JTAllen79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Points/condenser ignition question

Working on friends '71 Vette with points ignition and found wire going to condenser(?) mounted on coil bracket broken off at the condenser. Car still runs fine. It's been so long since I messed with points ignition....I tried to resolder but it won't hold. Is it nessessary? Where can I get another one? Is it just for radio noise suppression? Factory radio has been replaced with a Ken Harrison Kenwood unit. Thanks for any info. JA :chevy
Old 03-26-2003, 09:53 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Points/condenser ignition question (JTAllen79)

You can replace the points with an all in one unit that has the condenser attached to the points. I think most auto stores will be able to get it for you. Don't know if many places still carry points. Tell your friend he should be looking into a Pertronix unit to convert over from points to electronics. It will cost about $70 but you never have to mess with points again.

Rethought this. The condenser is inside the distributor so what you're probably talking about is the capacitor. The capacitor is to cut down radio interference caused by the opening and closing of the points. You should be OK to run without it. The capacitor should look like the one connected to the blower motor and is probably a .5 microfarad unit which was common. You can get these at some auto stores in the Help section or you might be able to order one. Points can be bought with an integral condenser as I said above which makes the packaging in the distributor a little better.

[Modified by vettfixr, 10:02 AM 3/26/2003]
Old 03-26-2003, 10:02 AM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a noise supression device. If he doesn't complain about noise on his radio I would not be to concerned about fixing it. Likely only affects AM (do people still listen to AM?)

Now about the points, I think electronic conversion is the way to go but there are other manufacturers other than Petronix. I am not satisfied with their product and customer service. I do have a Petronix unit on another vehicle and it works well - Just the Vette one is a problem :auto:
Old 03-26-2003, 11:50 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Like 70vette says, the condenser mounted on the coil bracket has nothing to do with the ignition system points/condenser setup - it is only for radio noise suppression. Car will run fine without it, but you may get some crackle in the radio.

A good set of points will outperform the majority of the aftermarket electronic conversions. I recommend you keep the points setup and just keep the car well tuned.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:56 PM
SlixVett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The condenser (a capacitor) inside the distributor is used to minimize arcing damage to the surface of the points when the contacts open and close. It can be mounted separately to the base plate or included with the points set so it's a little easier to install (that's what I use - from NAPA). The car will run without it, but the points will not last as long.

The condenser (capacitor) mounted on the coil bracket is a noise-suppression device for the radio.

I knew that EE degree would come in handy for something.

Slick
Old 03-26-2003, 01:09 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Points/condenser ignition question (lars)

A good set of points will outperform the majority of the aftermarket electronic conversions. I recommend you keep the points setup and just keep the car well tuned.
You better believe it brother...and I'll give up my perfectly tuned point ignition and carbureted fuel system when they pry them from my cold dead hands :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Points/condenser ignition question

Quick Reply: Points/condenser ignition question