C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical gurus needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 11:57 PM
five-boy-mom
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical gurus needed

OK! I threw this out just before Christmas then got busy with the holidays, so here it is again:
Car threw generator belt. New one put on. Ever since then the generator light comes on all the time. Alternator pulled and checked - ok. New battery. Car WILL NOT hold a charge. Jump starts after prolonged hook-up to my backup car but the needle on the charging system gauge never budges above zero. When I get the baby jumped the generator light doesn't come on until the engine is reved to 1600RPMs, at which point it pops on like clockwork. Who might know what to do with this??? I'd appreciate your time and wisdom. Car cries everytime I leave in the backup car...so do I! Beverly :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry
Old 03-26-2003, 12:04 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Electrical gurus needed (five-boy-mom)

Sounds like the alternator to me.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:18 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Check all your elec connections at the alternator. Could the little plastic plug be loose or put in wrong? Have autozone check the alt in the car running. But from what you are saying it not charging in the car far some reason. Is your belt tight?
Old 03-26-2003, 12:30 AM
five-boy-mom
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Electrical gurus needed (71,454,4spd)

Yes, this problem screams alternator. I had a new one installed, took the old one in and had it checked. (It had also been checked on the car with it running. I was told it was shot.) Got the new one on, the problem remained the same - light coming on. Took the old one in, checked out on the machine as OK, so I had the new one pulled and checked, it came out OK. I'm thinking that the car is just possessed at this point. The little plastic plug was frayed and that was replaced. Problem persists. :banghead:
Old 03-26-2003, 04:42 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be that the alternator earth is bad,make sure this is clean,or try grounding it with a seperate earth.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical gurus needed

Quick Reply: Electrical gurus needed