C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusted timing, ran fine, now won't run... :-(

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 10:30 PM
djlangford
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusted timing, ran fine, now won't run... :-(

Ok, so my '74 454 ran just fine after I rebuilt it for 100 miles or so, started easy, etc. etc. I was extatic. So, after I was comfortable that it ran without anything really bad happening, I decided to get the timing right (it was at ~6 deg), so I put the light on it (warm engine, vaccum advance disconnected/plugged), and adjusted to 12 degrees.

It ran beautifuly, could feel a power difference idle was smoother, I was happy :hurray:

So, I put it away for a few days, then I went back to start her up again, and she barley ran, black smoke and barley limped down the street and back. Checked timing, it was cold, and barley running, it was still 12deg, so I hadn't messed anything up when I tightened the hold down on the distributor.

Adjusted mixture leaner, no luck. Adjusted timing back to where I started (marked it before I started), no luck.

Now, it won't even fire at all. I am getting spark.

I've got MSD tach drive distributor, MSD Blaster 2 coil, and MSD 6al ignition box.

Did something break? What else should I check? Its flooded beyond beief now, I cranked it enough. Could it be possible that there is just so much fuel in the cylnders that would cause me a problem? SHould I pull the plugs and let it evaporate?

:confused: :confused:

Thanks!
David :banghead:
Old 03-26-2003, 12:01 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Adjusted timing, ran fine, now won't run... :-( (djlangford)

Forget the ignition, look at the carb. It is obviously flooding. You will probably have to remove and clean the plugs to get it to fire.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:57 PM
djlangford
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took Wombvette's advice, and put some new plugs in and we've got fire now!!!

What a great resource this place is!!! Not the first time you've saved me from dispair!!! :party:

David
Old 03-27-2003, 11:31 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

If plugs fouled in only 100 miles with a new MSD box standby for a repeat. Sounds like a carb quirk that may be difficult to locate. With the smallish price for carburetor I don't know why more hobbyists don't have a reliable spare. Good rebuilds are under $200 on line and brand spanken new holleys for $300.
Just my two pennys but I'll always have a good spare on the shelf for comparison.
Oh yea. BTW Las Vegas is at least 2,000 higher than us sea level folks and requires a step leaner jetting and a power valve change. Sorry can't remember the PV number but Holley has a great technical website. :thumbs:

[Modified by cardo0, 4:36 AM 3/28/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Adjusted timing, ran fine, now won't run... :-(

Quick Reply: Adjusted timing, ran fine, now won't run... :-(