C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'75 speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 04:53 PM
68350hp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '75 speaker problem

We just got my dad's silver '75 out last summer. Late last year though, the speakers quit. The radio still works because you can hear it very faintly when you turn the volume up all the way. I want to replace the speakers. To replace the speakers, can you just take the top dash pad off or do you have to take the lower two dashes off to replace them. Is there an easy way?
Old 03-26-2003, 12:02 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: '75 speaker problem (68350hp)

The "easier" way would be to get a piece of plywood in the dimensions that would fit in the back cargo area, cut out holes for speakers, and mount some new speakers in there, and run the wires up to the radio in the front. That way you won't have to mess with the dash. And, from what I could tell the only way to get to the front speakers is from the bottom, but I have not investigated that much. When you do figure it out, please post what you learned in the forum, cause my front passenger speaker bit the dust and I want replace my front speakers. I already have speakers in the back which is why I haven't replaced them yet.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:36 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

. Is there an easy way?

:lol: :lol: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lol: :lol:

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Sorry, bro I just had to. Now, please remember this is a CORVETTE DASH we are discussing here! Everyone now, let's :grouphug: before we :auto: him crazy!
Old 03-26-2003, 03:38 AM
FinnShark
Burning Brakes

To take the top dash pad away you need to remove at least the passenger side lower dash and center gauge frame. So, good luck... I removed my top dash pad few weeks ago. Be careful not to destroy the outermost corners of the top dash pad when taking it off... :smash:
Old 03-26-2003, 10:06 AM
JimBR0
Burning Brakes

Find a nice set of infinity's and mount them in the foot well and leave the original speakers in place unattached :)

Old 03-26-2003, 11:06 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: '75 speaker problem (JimBR0)

With my 75, when both speakers went out, they also caused a problem in the radio it self. I wouldn't crank the volume up to try and listen to it.

In order to replace both speakers, you have to gain clearance to get under the pad and remove two or three stamped nuts that hold the speakers up against the pad. The passenger side is easy. Just remove the front panel and the speaker is quite accessable.

The driver side is another matter. If you can remove the dash pad, the job is easy. However, the dash pad has to be bent in the middle in order to get the ends inboard of the windshield frame. Even with the molding removed from the frame, the dash pad still won't come right out. I think that the assembly plant probably put the pad in place before the windshield was installed.

Some people have used a heating pad or just they just leave the car out in the sunlight for a brief time to warm up the dash so that it would bend more easily. However with my 28 year old dash, I didn't think that it was a very good idea to try and bend it. I was afraid of it cracking!

So I dropped the steering column so that the steering wheel rested on the driver seat. This allowed me to lower the speedometer/tachometer cluster down so that I could get my hand and a small wrench on the stamped nuts and remove the driver side speaker.

If you decide to lower the steering column, one thing to remember, you must disconnect the lower end of the steering column at the floor as well as disconnecting the vertical bolts at the upper end of the column. It is not good to have the steering column cantilevered from just the floor attachments.

Here is some good news, I have quite complete instructions on lowering the steering column. They are posted at http://www.corvettefaq.com under Steering.

Download the following:
Std Column Disassembly & Repair Paper #2 -Drop/remove steering column
Std Column Installation Pic

Just follow the disconnect instructions on page #2 and the reinstall instructions on page #6. You can neglect the rest of the paper.

These instructions are the same for the standard column or the T&T.

Good luck,
Old 03-26-2003, 02:58 PM
68350hp
Racer

Default Re: '75 speaker problem (Rockn-Roll)

We have speakers in the back of the '74, but we don't want to do that in the '75 because the car only has 25,000 miles and it is VERY original. We just want to replace the speakers in the dash with the original style or upgrade them.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:09 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my windshield frame padding then took my dash out. It's not "simple" but I am far from a pro and managed it. Do yourself a favour and bag and tag your hardware....
Old 03-26-2003, 07:27 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to my website and look at the stereo install. It's not what you're talking about but will show you what has to be removed to get to the front speakers. It's not really that bad. By now I could probably replace the front speakers in about 2 or 3 hours. Look here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page19.htm

Get notified of new replies

To '75 speaker problem

Quick Reply: '75 speaker problem