C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rarity???

Old 03-25-2003, 02:23 PM
Tufftoy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rarity???

Coming home from fishing with my son the other day, I saw a Corvette inside the lot of a wrecker service. I got home called the people to see if it was for sale or what. The man said that the care is rare possibly one of a kind. He said it was a 1971 model with a 454/425 hp aluminum headed engine, 4 speed, bigger brakes and upgraded suspension, all matching numbers, but could find any numbers on the engine. He told me that he and others have looked for the build sheet in varius places on the car, and he is waiting on another man to open up one of the seats to see if it is in there. He said if he can't locate that build sheet, he would sell it for $10,000.

What do you guys think? Just curious.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:37 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rarity??? (Tufftoy)

I'm ready to hit my BS buzzer.

According to the Black Book, there were 188 Corvettes in '71 with the LS6 454/425hp engine. So while it would be desirable, it's not unique.

First things first:
1) There should be a VIN on the windshield post that matches the serial on the engine. The serial number should be on the front on the passenger side on a flat spot...it's etched in. If there is no number, the engine is a reproduction block.
2) The build sheet is the tank sticker, which would be on the gas tank somewhere. It will identify the factory options.
3) If it is an original LS6 car, $10K is a good price. What you really want to check is if it is a ZR2 car, which would also have the M22 Rock Crusher tranny, as well as all the handling options. Check the number on the tranny and see if it is a M22 (post here, we'll tell you.) If it isn't, it is not a ZR2. If it is a ZR2, buy it immediately, as only 12 were made.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rarity???