C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collector Plates & Classic Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 02:12 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Collector Plates & Classic Insurance

I have MN collector plates and I just signed up for Hagerty. ( I might even get accepted. They made me give out my fiancees driving record though which could be better).

Any of you guys run into harrassment with collector plates?

Has enyone ever run into classic insurance catch 22s like driving to work?

Its tempting to drive to work every now and again during the summer.

Brent...
Old 03-25-2003, 02:42 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Collector Plates & Classic Insurance (MN-Brent)

Brent,
I've run collector plates, as well as original date plates (like a 1954 plate with a correct '55 year sticker on my 55 Packard) and all of them were insured under classic insurance.

Nobody ever pulls you over for classic plates, because they are legal. The only thing that would raise eyebrows is if you have classic plates on a pickup or, in my father-in-law's case, a '67 El Camino and you use it to haul anything. Most states make it illegal to haul anything in the bed of a classic vehicle, although I've gotten gas cans filled with the El Camino.

I've also driven to work in my classics, just don't make it a habit of driving every day, because the insurance company will catch-on when the odometer readings are huge each year.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:51 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Classic/Antique/Collector insurance is a great deal for those with multiple cars. I have three insured that way. If it was not for the classic rates I could not afford to have the cars. So please, if you go with the classic insurance, abide by their rules, don't ruin it for the rest of us. If too many start driving their classic insured cars to work or on a regular basis, that special low rate will quickly go away. I you are not going to view the car as a "collector" then get regular insurance.

tom...
Old 03-25-2003, 03:07 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Collector Plates & Classic Insurance (Tom73)

I'd say 50% of the cars driven in CO have classic plates and no insurance. The plates are cheaper and you only have to get them emissions tested at the onset of getting the plates. They are good for 5 years. Most clapped out hulks with the doors falling off and blue smoke coming out the exhaust are "collectors". They sure give real collectors a bad rap. But authorities can't do anything because that would be unfairly targeting minority groups.

I've got classic plates and insurance. I can drive anywhere as long as I keep the mileage under a certain level...
Old 03-25-2003, 03:35 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

It all depends on the laws of your state in regards to plates. But you should be able to get the information from the MN DOT site. As far as collector car insurance, including Hagerty (which I have), the car can't be a drive to work vehicle.

Get notified of new replies

To Collector Plates & Classic Insurance

Quick Reply: Collector Plates & Classic Insurance