C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior colors, interior dye, confused....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 01:33 PM
4DLuvOfSpeed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior colors, interior dye, confused....

Hey all,
My car seemed to have 3 different interior colors when I bought it. The carpets where brownish tan, the door panels where a very light gray, and the dash and seats were light tan. Now, I thought this light tan was "doeskin", until I ordered a used dash and used door panels from 2 different sources advertised as "doeskin" and when they arrived the color was the brownish/tan. Sooo... is doeskin light or dark tan? And what color are my original light grey door panels? Oyster? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

My other question is, how good is interior dye paint? I want to dye the panels and dash to match the seat, i.e.: change from dark tan to light tan. Will the dye in a can sold by Vette vendors do this smoothly? Will it look like a coat of paint over the door panels and dash that could be peeled off or will the dye be absorbed by the material and change its color (I'm assuming it's the latter by definition of "dye")? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:46 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Interior colors, interior dye, confused.... (4DLuvOfSpeed)

I changed by interior from Tan to Black.

I used SEM black available from pro paint stores like PPG stores etc...
I used Plastikote black Vinyl paint from Pep Boys, Walmart etc..

They both work exceptional well and they are both as good for durability.

If you clean up the material to be painted and use this stuff, it will turn out beautiful. I used a Xylol solvent to final clean the materials before painteing. If they were extremely dirty, I used dawn dish soap/water to clean them up and then used the Xylol for final clean.

It took about 1 month to do the whole interior and that was working almost every day on it whenever possible.

I did the seats though in a Molecubond black Dye from Walmart (auto paint section). This is supposed to be a true dye and will wear better than the paints will for the seats (Vinyl covers).

I replaced the carpet though. It is made by ACC if I remember correctly. The carpet on the door panels though I just vinyl painted. They turned out great but are a little more stiff than non-painted.

The seatbelts I used a Platikote fabric paint which pulls into the fabric unlike the vinyl paint which sits on top of the material.

The steering column I used a gloss black epoxy paint and then put on a new Lacarra black leather wheel.

I really like the results and would do it again in a minute if I had to.

Good Luck

Brent....

Old 03-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Steve Adkins
Drifting

Yes, the interior dye that the vette vendors sell work great! I bought mine from volunteer vette products and it turned out excellent. Just remember to be patient and spray light mist coats about 20-30 minutes apart until you get full coverage Doeskin is light tan.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prep is the key to any dye you use. I've used SEM and Corvette America brands, both with good results. The colors you are comparing sound like "Light Saddle", "Smoke", and "Doeskin". I have "Smoke" (very light grey) in my 77 but it's different than your 76 version. "Light Saddle" sounds like the brownish tan you are describing. "Doeskin" is more white than tan.
I don't think SEM has all the original Vette interior colors. Corvette America brand does. CA brand is available from ZIP, Riks, Corvette America, Ecklers, etc... Take your pick...and good luck. :cheers:
Eddie
Old 03-25-2003, 05:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This is doeskin. Tan is darker.

I have had very good results with this doeskin dye. And we do not want to get into a discussion of that Z product on the left ;) .

[Modified by paul79, 5:38 PM 3/25/2003]
Old 03-25-2003, 06:08 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Interior colors, interior dye, confused.... (Steve Adkins)

Dayuum Steve, that is one beautiful '69! :cheers:
Old 03-25-2003, 06:20 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Interior colors, interior dye, confused.... (Avette4me)

FYI - I think Lars has written a tech article on painting (dying) plastic parts.
:seeya
Old 03-25-2003, 09:41 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Good topic. I'm about to start re-dying my interior. Bubba went from saddle to black and I'm going back to saddle on most parts. The seats and carpet are going to stay black for some contrast. Should look good I think.

I stopped into Paragon Reproductions some time ago and while they don't carry any interior 'dye' they referred me to a place that they outsource their interior work to and mentioned that 'dye' is just paint with elasticizers in it to make it flexible. That sounds about right to me based on my past plastics experience.

They said that 'any' auto paint supplier can mix up the proper stuff and put the additives in it for interior work. I've yet to confirm that though. Looks like I'll get my chance soon.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:24 AM
Steve Adkins
Drifting

Default Re: Interior colors, interior dye, confused.... (Avette4me)

Dayuum Steve, that is one beautiful '69! :cheers:
Thanks Avette4me! :cheers:
Old 03-26-2003, 08:14 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Interior colors, interior dye, confused.... (Silvr77)

What's the concensus on the LONG TERM DURABILITY of the dyes that everyone has used? That's the biggest problem with my interior is the black that Bubba put on is wearing away.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior colors, interior dye, confused....

Quick Reply: Interior colors, interior dye, confused....