C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed;keep glass t-tops?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 07:23 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Opinions needed;keep glass t-tops?

I bought my car with a cracked driver side t-top. I've got the 1131 blue tint glass tops on it. They are hard to find and expensive. I was thinking about going to fiberglass tops for 2 reasons: 1. The FL sun is very hot and eats interiors. All that sun shining in really heats up the car. 2. I think it would be less expensive to buy a pair of fiberglass ones than it would be for 1 of the glass ones. I could use the fiberglass ones while I save up or just sell the pair of glass ones. What do you guys think? :auto:
Old 03-25-2003, 09:39 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Opinions needed;keep glass t-tops? (isosceles)

You'll find the fiberglass tops very confining, especially if you're over 6 feet tall. In the summer, I use the matrix film inserts to keep the sun out -- about 25 bucks from Ecklers. They work great.

I know a company that rebuilds glass t-tops, or converts them to plexiglass (MUCH lighter and no breakage risk). They do the work for certain catalog vendors, so you can save $$$ by dealing with them directly. Email me if you're interested.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:13 PM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Opinions needed;keep glass t-tops? (page62)

I have a set of glass tops off a 78 pace car. I did not use them last year. They sat in the basement all covered up. When I first got them, I remember sitting at Carlisle waiting to get out and baking in the sun. I dont care for them in the summer but maybe in the fall but then again...I dont live in FL. :D
Old 03-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Opinions needed;keep glass t-tops? (GreyGhost)

If someone is interested in selling a set of glass T-Tops for a 78-82 vette reasonable, I would like to buy a set. My vette is a 78. I could replace glass at a later date if one of them is cracked.
Just e-mail me.
Neil in Tenn
Old 03-25-2003, 08:58 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Opinions needed;keep glass t-tops? (Nomad78SA)

If someone is interested in selling a set of glass T-Tops for a 78-82 vette reasonable, I would like to buy a set. My vette is a 78. I could replace glass at a later date if one of them is cracked.
Just e-mail me.
Neil in Tenn
I'll keep that in mind while deciding. :jester
Old 03-25-2003, 11:06 PM
79corvette
Racer

I live in Naples, Fl so I know how the bad the sun can be down here. I decided to get the fiberglass T-tops because I found them to be cheaper, and won't have to have the sun on me all the time( I also figured that I wouldn't be looking up at the sky as I am driving so I really don't need glass). I also figured that the interior might not get to much worse from fading. The glass tops also break to easily for me too.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:35 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I believe if you have the glass t-tops insurance may cover it as it is glass, might want to check next time one breaks.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:44 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Opinions needed;keep glass t-tops? (Schmucker)

Yes you are correct, it would be covered, but mine was broken when I purchased the car. I won't lie about it and say it happened after I bought it. My insurance agent is a personal friend.
If I break it though you bet I will tell them. :thumbs:
Old 03-26-2003, 09:33 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Opinions needed;keep glass t-tops? (page62)

[QUOTE]I use the matrix film inserts to keep the sun out -- about 25 bucks from Ecklers. They work great.QUOTE]

I also use the dot matrix liners. In Houston summer heat. Just as bad as Florida I would think. Mine sits outside all day long at work. Use a front windshield reflector during summer. The dot matrix is the way to go. I did not have them installed for a week last summer for another reason and it was miserable. Put dot matrix liners in and MO BETTA!

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions needed;keep glass t-tops?

Quick Reply: Opinions needed;keep glass t-tops?