C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 Fan Wiring questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 12:40 AM
tzavaleta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Fan Wiring questions...

Ok, i've installed the LT1 fan (looks fantastic!) and i bought a wiring kit from painless. Now here are my questions...

1). For the ignition lead on the painless harness, can i run this to the positive line of the coil? Really clean, and this is switched with the key right? I guess i can run it to the fuse box, this just seemed simpler and cleaner to run it to the coil.

2). I didn't get a wiring harness with the fans for the fan plugs. So i'm not sure how to wire them. Which of the two posts is positive? (L/R?) does it matter?

3) Since i only have one sensor (both on/off at the same time) should i wire them in series? For example, take the power to both (same wire with a split) and then run a wire to both grounds and then to the ground?

Sorry for the lack of terms, by electrical isn't my forte.

Thanks!
-thomas
Old 03-25-2003, 09:26 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: LT1 Fan Wiring questions... (tzavaleta)

Tzavaleta-Here is a simple schematic how I wired my LT1 fan. I have a manual override and a thermal switch to engage the fans. I also wired the fans to always come on together. I hope is helps.
Dan :chevy

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/fan_relay_circuit.jpg

Old 03-25-2003, 12:13 PM
tzavaleta
Racer

Default Re: LT1 Fan Wiring questions... (vettedan)

I see that you are wiring each one through it's own relay. I only have one relay to run both. How would i wire the two together that way?
Old 03-25-2003, 03:01 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see that you are wiring each one through it's own relay. I only have one relay to run both. How would i wire the two together that way?
Connect the fan (+) wires togather and connect them to the relay output (switch side). Make sure the relay your using can handle the current draw the fans will be pulling. GM uses a 3 relay system where one relay is used to switch between one fan operation or two fan operation and the other two relays are used to switch power on to each fan.
Dan
Old 03-25-2003, 03:55 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: LT1 Fan Wiring questions... (vettedan)

I don't have the LT1 fans, but I have the flex-a-lite fans. I run both fans through 1 relay. The fans should draw a max of 20A and the relay is rated at 30A.

I would not run off the + of ignition. This is hot during cranking and the last thing I would want my starter to compete with is a big elect fan.

And, yes, tieing the two fan + wires together then connecting them to the relay is fine. The same is true for ground.

[Modified by BeaterShark, 2:57 PM 3/25/2003]
Old 03-25-2003, 04:14 PM
tzavaleta
Racer

Thanks guys. So what i've found so far...

1. Run to fuse box instead of coil. I've never done this, what is the best way to run it into the fuse box?

2. Still not sure which post on each of the LT1 fans is positive. In other words shold i wire the + to the left post or the right?

3. I should run them in parallel the + goes to both and then - ground goes to both and then the frame.

While i'm asking questions...
4. Since the fans will only flip on once it gets to temperature, is there a way that i can bypass this to test the fans?

Thanks again!!
Old 03-25-2003, 05:40 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

1. I usually find an existing wire with +12v only when key is in run position. The positive to the wiper motor comes to mind.
2. If you wire it wrong, the fans will operate in the reverse direction. You want the air to be blowing away from the radiator
3. Correct
4. Instead of connecting the temp switch to the relay, connect +12v.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 Fan Wiring questions...

Quick Reply: LT1 Fan Wiring questions...