C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst shifter problem

Old 03-24-2003, 11:47 PM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Hurst shifter problem

I recently installed the Hurst comp plus shifter. I have read the posts on trouble getting it in reverse but the problem I have is getting it in first. I did all the alignment as per instructions - the plastic neutral pin slides in easily.

If I go to second then to first it works perfectly every time. But if I go to first from reverse, third, or fourth is seems like I am between two gears. The engine will bog and I hear light gear grinding.

The transmission is newly rebuilt. Hoping the transmission and shifter will loosen up a bit and this won't be a problem - but not my kind of luck

Any suggestions?

70vetteinpieces - not too many pieces left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2003, 10:09 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Hurst shifter problem (70vetteinpieces)

It's possible that when you are aligning the shift arms the linkage isn't really in the center of the gears. Try this. Put the car in second and then first and then neutral. Then go under the car and disconnect the 1/2 linkage at the trans shift lever. With this disconnected put the plastic pin in the shift arms and then make sure that the linkage goes through the shift levers on the trans dead center in the arms. If this doesn't cure it you may have problems with the syncros in the trans. I know mine can be difficult at times going into gear but it's to be expected on a trans with almost 100K miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hurst shifter problem