C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's better mechanical or electric fuel pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 10:39 PM
mountainshark76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's better mechanical or electric fuel pumps?

I have a mech. pump that requires a regulator, but mounting it and the inline filter and the gage then running the lines is a little akward, I am thinking of changing to an electric it would be easier to route and mount any opinions
are helpful! PHOTOS OF MOUNTING VERY HELPFUL either type!!!
Old 03-25-2003, 02:20 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: What's better mechanical or electric fuel pumps? (mountainshark76)

I am a fan of electric fuel pumps. The bad side is they are noisy and I wouldn't trust just one. I run a pair of holley high pressure pumps on my vet and on the mustang. They have seperate switches so I only run most of the time on one but alternate them occasionally.
I like to prime the carb before starting the motor and when I come home I turn the pump off about 1/4 mile from home and drain the carb by the time I pull in the garage.
I also have a burgular alarm that turns off the pumps so if someone jumps in the car and tries to take off he will not get far.
I also had a mechanical pump malfunction once and when the gas started comming out the dip stick I found out I had a problem. The motor was completely filled with gas. That couldn't have been good for the bearings.
I have special isolated mounts on the pumps so when the motor is running the pump noise is gone.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I have a mech. pump that requires a regulator, but mounting it and the inline filter and the gage then running the lines is a little akward, I am thinking of changing to an electric it would be easier to route and mount any opinions are helpful!
I would use the electric pump if I had FI. But for a carb, the mech pump is all that is needed. Assume you are running a no-name aftermarket pump from your statement about it requiring a regulator. I would suggest getting the correct A/C Delco pump. It uses the return fuel line to bleed off any excess pressure. And it is a simple bolt on.

tom...
Old 03-25-2003, 03:04 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed an elect pump on my car. I made a bracket and mounted it to the gas tank support bracket. Here are some pics:

Looking from the rear bumper, forward:

Looking from the rear spring, rearward:

Looking from just behind the passenger's side tire, toward the driver's side:

As you can see in that last pic, I modified the spare tire carrier lid so that I can install the tub. I now have the tub in and I plan on setting it up for storage of some type.

I also used an oil pressure switch so the pump is only pumping when there is oil pressure (7 psi).
Old 03-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that for carb applications, especially on the street, mechanical pumps are better. Simpler and more reliable. You know the old addage K.I.S.S. "keep it simple stupid" One drawback of electrical pumps is, if, and "if" is a big word here, the car happend to crash or roll on the roof, and the driver is knocked unconcious, the elec pump can continue to run after the engine stalls. So if a line is ruptured, or in the case of a roll over on a carb application, gas can be pumped out all over the hot engine and go up in a ball of fire. With the mechanical pump, it quits workin when the engine stalls. One thing I like about electrical pumps is, if you run out of gas you dont need to prime the carb to get a quick restart. Just put some gas in the tank, turn the key to the on position and wait a few secs, turn key and go.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:30 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: What's better mechanical or electric fuel pumps? (Jvette73)

...One drawback of electrical pumps is, if, and "if" is a big word here, the car happend to crash or roll on the roof, and the driver is knocked unconcious, the elec pump can continue to run after the engine stalls...
Not if you wire in either an inertial or oil pressure switch. Otherwise I agree completely with the mechanical pump recommendation. Many folks don't know this but NASCAR Cup cars are required to use a block-mounted mechanical pump. And it's so simple, no fabrication or line splicing issues.

Get notified of new replies

To What's better mechanical or electric fuel pumps?

Quick Reply: What's better mechanical or electric fuel pumps?