C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose??

I'm in the process of removing the heads on my 427. All the bolts are out, but it still seems very stuck to the block. What's the trick?

Thanks,
~Jay
Old 03-24-2003, 11:53 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose?? (Jay M)

Iv'e two crow bars (one bigg'n and one not as big) in my tool box and use them all the time. :yesnod: Used one on my small block heads. Bet the big blocks could need'm too. :lol:
Old 03-24-2003, 11:58 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose?? (Jay M)

You probably don't want to hear this, but when I tried to pull my heads, the passenger side never separated from the manifold. Ever. I actually cracked the manifold trying to separate it from the block. Up until this point, I was shooting for a mild rebuild. After this, I went full bore and replaced everything but the block.

To remove the heads from the block, I took a crow bar and placed it in the exhaust port. Then I pried like a mother until the head (and manifold) budged.

Good luck with it.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:54 AM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

Default Re: I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose?? (joeveto)

Not sure what joeveto is saying. You didn't pull the manifold before you pulled the heads? Were you trying to pull them all together and the manifold stuck to the block???? Anyways. Try to avoid using anything with big kissing in the name. Rubber mallets or a block of wood between the head and a steel hammer sometimes will help pop them loose (remember there are dowel pins in there).

[Modified by boredsoIstrokedit, 11:58 PM 3/24/2003]
Old 03-25-2003, 12:55 AM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

Default Re: I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose??

A large screwdriver and the rubber mallet has worked good for me. Also you can try a cherry picker to pull up gradually and evenly on the head. Put a bolt in the accessory hole or the intake and exhaust holes. Make sure you use good bolts, and leave only enough of them out so they bend before they break giving you more problems.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:56 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose?? (joeveto)

You need to hit them with a dead blow hammer.....(Dont use a steal one).
Old 03-25-2003, 08:27 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose?? (Desertdawg)

Did you get all the bolts? I almost forgot the ones between the rockers on my SB over the weekend...glad I noticed before I started hitting it with a hammer or something.
I used a pry bar in the water opening, didn't want to damage the intake or exhaust port. Head came right off.
Jeff
Old 03-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose?? (no_radio)

I removed 16 bolts. Are there some more that I may have missed?

~Jay
Old 03-25-2003, 11:40 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

There are only 16 bolts so you removed all of them. Like others, I place a crow bar in the water port and give it a few jerks. I wouldn't wedge anything between the head and the block. That will damage the sealing surfaces of the head and the block.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:41 AM
randy72
Drifting

On my GTO, I always had to use a cherry picker to remove the heads
Old 03-25-2003, 01:04 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose?? (randy72)

On my GTO, I always had to use a cherry picker to remove the heads
Yeah, those Pontiac heads are heavy :jester Joe
Old 03-25-2003, 01:21 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Not sure what joeveto is saying. You didn't pull the manifold before you pulled the heads? Were you trying to pull them all together and the manifold stuck to the block???? Anyways. Try to avoid using anything with big kissing in the name. Rubber mallets or a block of wood between the head and a steel hammer sometimes will help pop them loose (remember there are dowel pins in there).

[Modified by boredsoIstrokedit, 11:58 PM 3/24/2003]
:withstupid:

Sledge and a block of wood should do the trick
Old 03-26-2003, 01:04 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: (RCB69L36)

Thanks for the advice. I went to Sears and bought the biggest crow bar they had. One head came off with out too much effort, but the other was a lot harder. I ended up laying a 2x4 in the valley and pried the head loose.

The pistons sure look ugly! I may end up pulling the block out and doing the rebuild the right way $$$. Thank God for credit cards ;)

I'd post some pictures, but I forgot my websight password :rolleyes:
Old 03-26-2003, 01:47 AM
74_LS-4
Racer

Default Re: (Jay M)

I was gonna say that you could always start up the engine without the head bolts.

;)

That would loosen the head!

-Jim
Old 03-26-2003, 01:49 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

What I was saying, is that after I pulled my engine, I couldn't remove my manifold. The bolts were seized within the head. I was able to separate one head from the manifold, or vice versa. But the other head remained frozen to the manifold, and I had to pull them off the engine as a unit, where they remain, to this day, in the corner of my garage.

I'm glad this did not happen to you.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose??

Quick Reply: I've got all the Head bolts out, is there a trick to breaking the head loose??