C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new garagemate for my C3 (OT)

Old 03-24-2003, 10:12 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A new garagemate for my C3 (OT)

I know this is a little off-topic, but my '69 Corvette has a new garagemate...I just got a '60 Triumph TR3. I had a '59, but a week after I completed restoration, Tropical Storm Allison wiped it out, along with my '99 C5 Convertible. But this one has wire wheels, overdrive and leather seats, all things my last one didn't.

I'm totally psyched, but my wife is now pushing me to sell the '70 Porsche 911T.

But from the "something always goes wrong files" my buddy and I drove 744 miles to pick it up in Santa Rosa, CA. The old owner drove it into the trailer. We drove back, and when I tried to get it going, the rear brakes had stuck! So I have the rear wheels off, banged off the drums (discs in front! Nice for 1960!) and it's not the e-brake, rather it appears the rapid change in temp from wine country, over the mountains and back down caused the wheel cylinders to corrode or something. Something always happens, doesn't it?

But, it gives me another project! :)
Old 03-24-2003, 10:38 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: A new garagemate for my C3 (sammyb)

Let me know what you decide to do with the 911, I maybe able to make room for another fun vehicle. A good friend that I work with has a TR3 and he loves it, wouldn't sell it for anything right now.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:48 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what'd ya give for the Triumph, $3k or so? :jester

:lurk:
Old 03-25-2003, 01:04 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: A new garagemate for my C3 (sb69coupe)

Sounds like them dang english never thought about having to trailer their cars....You would have thought they would have engineered something to prevent this.

:D :seeya

Sounds like a fun playtoy. But were are the pictures????
Old 03-25-2003, 01:15 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

sammyb....

I haven't seen an old brit car on the streets in a long time. Over the years I have had 3- TR-6's('70, '71, '73), so I can understand your buying the TR-3. I too would love to see a few pics. Can't remember why, but I always wanted a TR-250. Seems it was a *hopped* up version?
Old 03-25-2003, 04:36 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

sammyb,
You have exceeded your limit for toys- mind if I pick just one for myself to get you back under the limit???? ;)
Old 03-25-2003, 05:05 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That garage must be getting full!!! :eek:

That's a good thing though! :thumbs:
Old 03-25-2003, 11:36 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A new garagemate for my C3 (Mystery Machine)

I paid the guy exactly what he wanted for it...which was a fair deal for both of us.

I definitely am going to sell the Porsche, because if the weather is nice enough to drive an old car, it will be a decision between the '69 and the Triumph. If anyone is interested, my asking for the Porsche is $10K. (Which isn't much considering it has a fully rebuilt correct engine with over 8 months left on the warranty.)

Triumphs have the reputation for being a typical problematic British car. Actually they are extremely robust vehicles, with the only problems being the Armstrong lever shocks and the Lucas voltage regulator. Triumph invented the photo finish at Lemans with all three factory cars crossing the finish line together, and the TR3 was also one of the most successful rally cars in history.

And BGRice, I had a TR-250 (got it in Kingswood,TX) and it was almost identical in performance to a TR-6. Even the TR-6 factory race cars were just the prevous year's TR-250s with new bodies! There was a great TR-250 running around in Pearland...original owner sold it for $2500 two years ago-no rust, ran, good interior...it sold the first day!

[Modified by sammyb, 10:41 AM 3/25/2003]
Old 03-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

I had a TR-6 in high school......Fun car but nothing but problems :cheers: Good luck with it.... I am trying to buy my neighbors TT 911....I am close to convincing him
Old 03-25-2003, 12:09 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I always wanted a TR3 but got the '70 Vette instead. I still want to know how you get the Porsche out of the garage.... kidding! :D
Old 03-25-2003, 12:31 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

COOL! Congrats! I had a 65 TR4 about 20 years ago. That car was a blast to drive. I had it for a daily driver. The car had so much low end torque you could take corners in 4th. I understand they had Massey-Ferguson tractor blocks and cranks in them. The suspension was a little stiff though, inside rear wheel would pick up aroung turns. Those darn cantalever (sp?) shocks were murder over RR tracks too! That thing positve ground like mine was?! LOL :jester
Old 03-25-2003, 03:07 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A new garagemate for my C3 (isosceles)

Yep, the TR3 is positive "earth" (ground.) The lever arm shocks stink. My last TR3's shocks were totally disconnected when I got the car. The rear end would launch going over expansion joints at 65mph.

Another history lesson: the engine in the Triumph TR series originated not as a tractor engine, like most think, but for the Standard-Triumph Vanguard Sedan. It was designed to be torquey and rugged. The fact that it was perfect for the TR sports car was icing on the cake. After it was put into the Vanguard, the engine was sourced to also be used in Fergusen tractors.

For the most part, the reason that Triumphs and MGs got really bad names in the states is that since they were cheap cars, they were really abused by younger owners. 6-volt MGs were also very hard to start in colder weather too.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

How did it get from Tropical Allison territory (southeast Texas) to California?
Old 03-25-2003, 04:36 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Cool Car.
My very first car was a 1973 MGB. I loved that car it was a blast to drive. I also had wire wheels and electric overdrive. I wish I still owned it.....Oh well, good times.
Have fun and good luck with your new project.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:33 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Default Re: A new garagemate for my C3 (Larry82)

This car was not in Tropical Storm Allison, my last TR3 was when I lived in Houston. This car spent all of its life in wine country in California.

Get notified of new replies

To A new garagemate for my C3 (OT)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A new garagemate for my C3 (OT)