C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to rebuild my front end**suggestions??**

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 05:15 PM
RLaFarge
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Need to rebuild my front end**suggestions??**

I am at the point where I ready to rebuild the front end on my 79. I have seen anumber of kits out there, but I am not sure what I need. Before I bail off into a pit, can you all give me some advise on what things I need to look for or a kit that has it all and wont totally break the bank.

Thanks,
Robby :auto:
Old 03-24-2003, 06:10 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need to rebuild my front end**suggestions??** (RLaFarge)

I'm no expert but maybe I could point you in the right direction. Go to http://www.vansteel.com They should be able to provide you with what you need, and they are a supporting vendor. :)

Also checkout the Van Steel group purchase at the top of this forum, you may be interested.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=511024

[Modified by 77Dream, 3:12 PM 3/24/2003]
Old 03-24-2003, 11:50 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I just did this, this summer, while my engine was out. It's not that bad. I went with Vette Brakes Products standard front end rebuild kit (rubber bushings) with the idler arm. My tools were rented from Autozone :)

As far as jumping off into a pit, truly, the job isn't that bad. The hardest part, for me, was changing out the control arm bushings. Finally, I had to call in a favor. I have a friend who works for an industrial machine builder. He has an industrial press. What took me hours to do on two control arms (with a crappy home press) only took twenty minutes with his press. So if you know anyone with these resources, use them.

The rest is cake. And this is coming from a person who had never rebuilt a front end, and had no concept of how the front end works.

Good luck with it!

Old 03-24-2003, 11:55 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Since you are doing this much work, see what else you can do while you have things apart. I want w/poly and am very happy. If you spend the time/money you will be happier in the long run. Do some detailing in the area you are working. Take a systems approach!

Get notified of new replies

To Need to rebuild my front end**suggestions??**

Quick Reply: Need to rebuild my front end**suggestions??**