C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified your motor? Check your spark plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 01:07 PM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Modified your motor? Check your spark plugs.

I have the edelbrock performer rpm heads and was useing normal plugs for a 77 350 chevy. Well the plugs were 1/2 inch too short. Check to make sure if you change your heads that they don't need a longer plug now. Mine runs alot better now. :crazy: :smash: :cheers:
Old 03-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Modified your motor? Check your spark plugs. (emsrescu)

This is some good advice. I friend changed heads and didn't realize that he needed to also switch to the short plugs....I guess you know what happened first time he revved it....
Old 03-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Marc80
Racer

I also have the same heads and you make me wonder. When you get a chance...what is the length of your plugs.

Thanks in advance,

Marc
Old 03-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Modified your motor? Check your spark plugs. (Marc80)

You are so right....
I had TFS 23 degree heads on mine for a while and had the wrong plugs in. Way to short. Motor reved great and I had no idea. A friend of mine noticed the problem one day while we were working on the vette. Car had never been on the road yet though for it is in a frame off.
Man was I humbled that day
Neil in Tenn
Old 03-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The manual that came with my RPM heads recommended the longer plugs so I used them from the start. I still had a problem though due to my domed pistons and, until I indexed the plugs, they contacted the domes just enough to close the gaps on those that weren't positioned right.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:30 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Modified your motor? Check your spark plugs. (Vetterodder)

AFR had a recommended plug on their web site, so I bought a set as a starting point. From there, only hotter or colder depending on the performance.

So far, so good.
Jeff
Old 03-24-2003, 09:39 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Modified your motor? Check your spark plugs. (no_radio)

Not only the length can be different but the seat can be too. The RPM heads state in the paperwork to change to a plug with the gasket seal. The stock plugs were a tappered seal. Edelbrock also recommends a plug number to start with. Sorry, I can't remember what number. If anyone needs it I can look it up and post it.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Modified your motor? Check your spark plugs. (redwingvette)

Not only the length can be different but the seat can be too. The RPM heads state in the paperwork to change to a plug with the gasket seal. The stock plugs were a tappered seal. Edelbrock also recommends a plug number to start with. Sorry, I can't remember what number. If anyone needs it I can look it up and post it.
My manual called for Champion RC12YC4's (aka 71's) and I've had good results with them. I've also used other brand's equivelents with good results also. While they were all the same length inside the cylinder, some were longer or shorter overall, resulting in different clearances with my headers. Autolights were longer than the Champions, AC's were shorter. While the heat range of the recommended Champions is just fine for me, different combinations of parts and usage might make another heat range, higher or lower, better. Another issue is availability. One dealer may stock the plug you need in one brand but not another so convenience may also be a consideration.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:57 AM
emsrescu
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Modified your motor? Check your spark plugs. (Marc80)

I also have the same heads and you make me wonder. When you get a chance...what is the length of your plugs.

Thanks in advance,

Marc
they are .750 i am useing autolite 3924

Get notified of new replies

To Modified your motor? Check your spark plugs.

Quick Reply: Modified your motor? Check your spark plugs.