C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Robd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Mounts

I have been having huge problems installing my motor. I completed the front suspension so front and rear tires are on the ground.

I purchased mounts from Ecklers. They are a nice looking safety type mount and I was able to get either side bolted however the other side is almost a bolthole off. It is almost like their needs to be a spacer under the mounts.

I then got a set from Auto Zone, which had a pretty different configuration. The dimension from the block to the chassis bolthole is larger on this mount so right away I thought this would fix my problem. I got i mounted to the block and lowered the motor into place the mounts wont fit into the chassis cradle. I mean its not even close. I went back to Auto Zone to verify the mount was correct and it was. I then went to another parts house and got a set they were identical to the Auto Zone ones down to the part number.

Then I went to NAPA to look at what theirs look like and they look like the other two parts houses mounts. One ever had been altered, and was obviously been banged on to widen the wings that fit over the chassis cradle. So who ever returned this mount was having the same problem I am.

Has anyone had this problem? I have a BB but understand that BB and SBC are the same mounts. Thanks for any input.

Rob :confused:
Old 03-24-2003, 10:45 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Motor Mounts (Robd)

Sounds :confused: I got pair of poly motor mounts from Energy Suspension and they bolted in straight up :yesnod:
Old 03-24-2003, 10:46 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Motor Mounts (Robd)

The last mounts I put and and they are hopefully the last are the Energy suspensions poly for summit about $35 each.

The wings didn't fit over the frame when I was lowering the motor in. So I figured that the nice looking gold anodized just made them a little to thick. So I just touched them up on the inside with a 6 inch wheel grinder. About 20 seconds worth of work and they fit right on.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:33 AM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Motor Mounts (gkull)

There are basically two types of motor mounts for chevy's. Short and wide or tall and narrow. You need the short and wide. They may be just a little loose on the bosses, but not enough to worry about. The tall and narrow dont even come close to fitting the bosses. Just went thru this myself. What I did was loosely bolt the mounts to the engine, settle the engine and mounts onto the bosses, get the bolts thru the bosses and mounts, then lower the engine, tighten the mounts to the engine.

Good luck,
Chris
Old 03-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Robd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Motor Mounts (71roadster)

Chris thanks for the input!

I do know what you mean.
The Ecklers mounts are short and wide and the rest I tried are tall and narrow.
I think I need tall and wide.

I could try and keep the bolts in the block loose until I get the bolts in the cradle in. I was just afraid that would not have the room to get in there with my torque wrench afterwards. The thing that gets me, is that I have done this before and I dont remember having all this trouble and I dont remember where I got the mounts.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Motor Mounts (groovyjay)

Sounds :confused: I got pair of poly motor mounts from Energy Suspension and they bolted in straight up :yesnod:
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Me too!! No problemas.. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Mounts

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts