C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*stretch* Drove my car, 92 C4 tonight. Handling thoughts. New sig pic.

Old 03-24-2003, 01:11 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default *stretch* Drove my car, 92 C4 tonight. Handling thoughts. New sig pic.

Took the 78 out and flogged my new suspension out. This kit is GREAT.

If anyone is concerned with handling on your car, Bilstein sports are most definitely the way to go.

Here is my current setup:

Swaybars: 1.125" front, 7/16" rear. Stock Gymkhana spec bars.

Springs: 550 lb front, 360 lb fiberglass rear.

Shocks: Bilstein sports all around.

Poly bushings only on the rear spring bolts. Rubber everywhere else, for now.

Car drives very predictably, does not want to swap ends, and grip far exceeds that of MOST cars. Non-sports cars. It is one of the most pleasureful cars I've ever driven short of a C4.

The C4 I drove was a 92 w/ the adjustable ride control. FX3? Anyways. I could easily throw that car into a corner at 10 mph faster than my car, and it complained much less. However, the handling characteristics of the two cars are very similar, and the 78 feels like it might even have *less* body roll. The 78 definitely does not feel like a 'heavy' car. Try driving a new Mustang GT. That feels like a heavy car.

I absolutely love this suspension. It's a blast. Can't wait to do smart struts, new tires and rims!

You can feel free to guess what's going on in my sig pic. :)

-Steve
Old 03-24-2003, 01:36 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: *stretch* Drove my car, 92 C4 tonight. Handling thoughts. New sig pic. (Pacin'California)

You can feel free to guess what's going on in my sig pic. :)

-Steve

Your trying to get some pictures of bug guts on your camera lens?????
Old 03-24-2003, 11:58 AM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: *stretch* Drove my car, 92 C4 tonight. Handling thoughts. New sig pic. (Desertdawg)

When you list your suspension setup, you leave out the most significant bit of information (by a HUGE margin), your tires! Nothing you do to your suspension will make as big a difference as using a real performance tire. And unfortunately, there just aren't any in a 15" street tire anymore. Doesn't a C4 run 16's or 17's? That right there will account for all the difference.

Chris
Old 03-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: *stretch* Drove my car, 92 C4 tonight. Handling thoughts. New sig pic. (71roadster)

When you list your suspension setup, you leave out the most significant bit of information (by a HUGE margin), your tires! Nothing you do to your suspension will make as big a difference as using a real performance tire. And unfortunately, there just aren't any in a 15" street tire anymore. Doesn't a C4 run 16's or 17's? That right there will account for all the difference.
You're absolutely right - but I do believe that I've just about maximized usage of the current meats (Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, 255-60-15), by the suspension tweaks I've done. The only thing left is an alignment, and who knows where that will get me as far as handling goes. Car should at least be more confident on the freeway.

The 92 C4 was running 275-40-17 Michelin Pilot sports. What I meant to say above: "However, the handling characteristics of the two cars are very similar, and the 78 feels like it might even have *less* body roll. The only thing that keeps the 78 from performing like or at least closer to the C4, are the rims and tires." I suffer from posting under the influence of drowsiness. :)

-Steve
Old 03-24-2003, 12:33 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: *stretch* Drove my car, 92 C4 tonight. Handling thoughts. New sig pic. (Pacin'California)

NICE!
Will be curious to see how this all changes when you get smart struts and then 17 inchers and nice tires. I did it all at once so it was mostly one big change for me. You may or may not like having that rear sway bar on there. I think you will like the smart struts too and its a relatively cheap and painless upgrade as well.
-terry
Old 03-24-2003, 12:52 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: *stretch* Drove my car, 92 C4 tonight. Handling thoughts. New sig pic. (terryrudy)

Thanks, Ter! I'm curious too, as I'll be going a slightly different route than you.

How's it coming w/ the TPI upgrade? We need to get together again sometime.

-Steve

Get notified of new replies

To *stretch* Drove my car, 92 C4 tonight. Handling thoughts. New sig pic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *stretch* Drove my car, 92 C4 tonight. Handling thoughts. New sig pic.