C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting old? I think I'm on that edge....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 12:49 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Getting old? I think I'm on that edge....

I don't know about the rest of you, but it appears *Father Time* is creeping up on doing the things I used to be able to do. Best attempts were to install the new engine this weekend, but I left myself what I thought was a do-able list to accomplish first and it didn't happen. Didn't look like much to me...

1) Cut off exhaust to sidepipes(needed for new headers)
2) Clean up transmission case & paint
3) Install new heater hoses
4) Connect transmission cooling lines to new radiator
5) Install new lower radiator hose
6) Pull, Clean & Paint Power Steering Pump
7) Install new Power Steering lines
8) Align March pulleys
9) Fabricate new Ignition Wires
10) ***Install Engine***

Well... I got 8 3/4 of them done as I stopped early tonight with 2 ignition wires still to build for the new engine. When I was in my 30's I would have stayed in the garage until 1-2AM and gone after it. I'll turn 49 in a couple of weeks and I can tell you that sitting in cramped spaces cutting off exhaust pipes and trying to be a contorsionist just doesn't work with my bones any more.

It was a good weekend though and looking forward to finishing the last 1 1/4 things. One more week will not hurt as I want a fresh Saturday morning to have the engine going in. By the way... the K&N X-streme drop filter system I have going in with it is pretty nifty with the extra flow and space allowed to add a 1" spacer to the carb. Time will tell if this all fits under the stock hood.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:56 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Getting old? I think I'm on that edge.... (bgrice)

It doesnt matter if you 49, or 89. You are doing it yourself, not paying somebody to build your dream.

And if it takes you 2 days instead of 1, think of it as spending more time on quality....
And tonight when you roll over in bed and your joints creek, just get some bengay. because your getting old. :jester

I sure hope I made you feel better. :grouphug:
Old 03-24-2003, 02:09 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: Getting old? I think I'm on that edge.... (Desertdawg)

Wait till you are 55 my man.....LOL. You are alive and healthy. Alot of folks wouldnt mind your problems...especially some Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, & Airmen in the Iraq Area. Bet ya feel better already, dont ya? :flag
Old 03-24-2003, 05:17 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Take it easy on yourself...at 48 you did more than most people 20 years younger than you would even KNOW how to attempt (including me...well I'm 17 years younger than you)! :thumbs:

Old fart! :p:
Old 03-24-2003, 05:29 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Getting old? I think I'm on that edge.... (Mystery Machine)

Old fart! :p:

You said it not me..... :smash: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 03-24-2003, 07:53 AM
hauk
Instructor

Hey BGRICE,I am 70 years old and I am doing the same things on my car but I know I won't get it done in one day,I have a lot of neighbors that love to hang around in my garage and love to borrow my tools BUT they always seem to have something else to do when I could use some help,Enjoy working on the Vette now because it don't get any better. :crazy:
Old 03-24-2003, 08:26 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll turn 49 in a couple of weeks and I can tell you that sitting in cramped spaces cutting off exhaust pipes and trying to be a contorsionist just doesn't work with my bones any more.
Ibuprofen is my best friend anymore. The bones don't get any better at 55 but when you roll her out and go for a spin with a little Clapton on the stereo it don't matter. You're 16 again. :D
Old 03-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

You go guy! :thumbs:

Don't let that age thing slow you down. Be glad you can [physically and mentally] do what you can do. :cheers:
Old 03-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah...I know what you mean. Marathons in the garage are a thing of the past for me too. I found that better planning and organazation helps reduce the amount of energy spent. Planning of what tools are needed to take under the car with you...reducing those up and down trips to the tool box. Organizing stuff in the garage helps you find things quicker too. Labeling screws and parts for easier install..etc.. Soft old blankets to lay on and head support helps the old back/neck withstand the pounding also. Damn...I make it sound like I've got one foot in the grave!!
Eddie
Old 03-24-2003, 01:25 PM
rreavis
Instructor

You could do what I did Sunday,, dig a 6 foot trench using a shovel and pick.
I would much rather be doing what you did... and I am only 46 :sleep:
Old 03-24-2003, 01:26 PM
rreavis
Instructor

Default Re: Getting old? I think I'm on that edge.... (rreavis)

That should have read 60 foot trench.. 6 foot I would have not minded at all. :confused:
Old 03-24-2003, 01:38 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Getting old? I think I'm on that edge.... (rreavis)

I'm impressed that you got all that done...and you're doing it at nearly 49! :)

I'm 35, and I've come to the conclusion (nothing profound here) that if you don't do the stuff all the time, then you're gonna get real sore and tired much quicker than when you were young(er) and could basically go non-stop. Used to be that taking care of business, family, playing ball, and working on the car... didn't matter. I'd just go 100mph doing it all and it wasn't as hard on the body. Now, even though I stay in good shape, the fact is getting in all those tight spots... you use muscles you don't work much, and you get tired.

Be encouraged you're still able to enjoy the hobby and turn wrenches! :)
Old 03-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Getting old? I think I'm on that edge.... (WA 2 FST)

I had to figure that the peanut section(Dawg) would pounce right in on Mystery Machine's note of *Old Fart*. Guessing I had it coming with every one forcing me to join in on the "Let's beat up the Dawg" thread running on these boards. :D

I gotta agree that planning sure can make things alot easier. More tools is always better than one short(like suggested) when you hop into the engine bay(engine out of course) and you look over to the work bench and see the one you forgot.

This is a fun project and I can't think of a better place to *blow* money.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:47 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Barry, boy do I hear you!! I am 1 year ahead of you and just went thru a similar thought process this weekend. All i did was change the oil and change my sparkplug wires and.....ugh! :( change one lousy fuse which is a Biotch to get at!!! and as I am crawling under the car dripping some hot oil on my arm i am thinking..... "Now why am i not paying somebody $14.95 to do this for me????" :lol: Got me thinking that I can't really keep up with things if they start to go.... we shall see. At least I got to do a good bit of driving this weekend!! :) MJ
Old 03-25-2003, 12:36 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Guessing I had it coming with every one forcing me to join in on the "Let's beat up the Dawg" thread running on these boards. :D .

I want names of the alleged forcer's :p:

Get notified of new replies

To Getting old? I think I'm on that edge....

Quick Reply: Getting old? I think I'm on that edge....