C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on hooker side pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 09:10 PM
HUGEsidepipes70
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on hooker side pipes

the side pipes on my '70 are flat black. I want them to be chromed. But I hear a lot about dis-coloring and that I should go for the ceramic coating for the extra money. my question is: Is dis-coloration really a problem with these sidepipes? and is it even worth the money to get an old set chromed or should I invest in new ones? I've read on one posting that a new set is around $1200. would that be less than getting a set ceramic coated?
Old 03-23-2003, 11:07 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: question on hooker side pipes (HUGEsidepipes70)

Personally I like flat black side pipes (I have them on my car). You would be better off getting them Jet Hot Coated. If you just have them chromed I would give them about a year or so before they start to rust and the chrome begins to chip off and overall become a mess. For the money Jet Hot Coating is the way to go and they will last A LOT longer.

That's the reason why I went with black, aside from the black and orange color scheme I have going on, I can always pull my pipes off and repaint them if they start to look to bad.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:45 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: question on hooker side pipes (bence13_33)

My car is black, so I like the chrome sidepipes. Mine are probably 15 years old and are looking pretty ratty. What I'd like to get is a set that are Jet Hot coated with the shiny coating (I don't recall what it's called, but there's someone around here with a yellow car with it). From the pictures, it looks almost exactly like chrome. I think a set of headers and pipes with this coating is about $1500.
Anybody remember who has that yellow car?
Old 03-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Aaron76
Pro

mine are coated with a Extreem temp epoxy paint that seems to be holding up fairly well but I would like them to be chromed once again.

When they were chromed the only discoloration was rite at the head but by the time they came out the side of the car it was fine except where the collector was it started to rust but that was in the days when I did not have a garage and the care was a grocery getter.
just som mor info :cheers:
Old 03-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Weird Science
Instructor

Default Re: question on hooker side pipes (Scooter70)

Scooter- Your talking about Yellow 72. Personally my favorite car on the forum.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:37 PM
CorvetteKid82
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: question on hooker side pipes (Weird Science)

"When they were chromed the only discoloration was rite at the head but by the time they came out the side of the car it was fine except where the collector was it started to rust but that was in the days when I did not have a garage and the care was a grocery getter."

Mine have rusted at the collector as well and have only discolored on the headers a bit. It rusted from sitting outside and not being run in the florida humidity for 5 years before I inherited it and discolored from having 180,000 miles put on them:eek: . The pipes are at least 18 years old, and still look good today. I'd go with the chrome if its what you like. Just take care of them, and they'll look great for a long time.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:16 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: question on hooker side pipes (Scooter70)

I think nothing looks better than a new set of chrome Hooker sidepipes :cool:
The problem is the new look is so short lived. It didn't take mine long at all to disscolor near the head and for the tubes to rust where they run close together where very little if any plating is. The collector area of the headers then turned a nice shade of gold :rolleyes:
Enough was enough and off to Jet-Hot they went. So far it's been money well spent. :cheers:
Old 03-24-2003, 05:39 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much would it cost to get a set of black hookers jet hot coated?
Old 03-24-2003, 05:44 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: question on hooker side pipes (corvettemaster)

Mine cost about $650.00 a couple of years ago including stripping the chrome, not sure if painted headers would be cheaper. That's with a forum 10% discount :cheers:

[Modified by yellow 72, 5:45 PM 3/24/2003]
Old 03-24-2003, 07:19 PM
dlw
Racer

I just removed my hooker sidepipes. They had discolored badly on the headers, but the side tubes looked pretty good, except for a small spot on the drivers side where the chrome had cracked. When I got the tubes off I noticed another spot on the back side of the pipe that looked bad also. Since I was going to have them redone anyway, I pushed on the bad spot and my finger went through the chrome! There was a huge hole in the pipe and the chrome had kept it covered! Personally, I like chrome, but the jet-hot sterling should last longer, especially on the headers. I thought about doing both. Jet-hot sterling on the headers and chrome from the header back.

If going with all chrome I would see if you could get a jet-hot coating on the inside and chrome on the out. Might last longer?

Get notified of new replies

To question on hooker side pipes

Quick Reply: question on hooker side pipes