C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Autosound Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Motor City Vette
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Custom Autosound Radio Installation

I ordered a Custom Autosound radio (model USA-1) for my 1970 'vert. When I bought the car, it didn't have a radio installed. So, all the old wires were more or less just tucked back into the center console. I attempted to install the USA-1 today, but I'm a little confused. First of all, from what I read about the Custom Autosound radios, they were supposed to be a direct fit. It does fit the console well (from a size perspective), but the connectors are different. The USA-1 has "bullet" style connectors, while the original radio connectors seem to be flat-style (like a spatula). Has anyone else had this problem? Also, since the car didn't have the radio when I bought it, no wires were marked and I'm not sure what wires are what (nothing was marked and I don't have a wiring diagram).

Does anyone know what the colors of the wires from the speakers, antennae (sp?), and power source are? Any advice (or pictures)?

[Modified by Motor City Vette, 7:26 PM 3/23/2003]

[Modified by Motor City Vette, 7:27 PM 3/23/2003]
Old 03-23-2003, 08:37 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Custom Autosound Radio Installation (Motor City Vette)

I used one of their radio's about 4 years ago. I cut off the ends and put spade tpye connectors on the radio wires so they would plug onto the cars wiring harness without changing it. You will also need to connect a piower lead that is hot all the time for the memory. the are 2 wires on the cars radio plug. one is hot when the key is on, the other is the ground. make sure you get them right. I connected the memory lead to the wire going to the cigarette lighter. Follow the instructios to hook up the speakers and it should be fine.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:05 AM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Custom Autosound Radio Installation (Motor City Vette)

these are the standards:

red - constant power
yellow - switched power
black - ground

speaker wire should have 2 wires attached together. usually the negative wire will have a small black stripe. the positive will not.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Autosound Radio Installation

Quick Reply: Custom Autosound Radio Installation