C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric fans, where is your thermo switch?

Old 03-23-2003, 03:56 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Electric fans, where is your thermo switch?

I am installing an aluminum radiator on my 68 327/350HP 4-speed to improve cooling for parades, etc. I am putting a radiator designed for the '65 396 big block which should be improved cooling. I m also converting to a twin 11" SPAL electric fan and here's where I need help.
I will leave my sending unit so my temperature guage works. I want to use two thermo switches, one to bring one fan on at 185 and shut it down at 165, the other to kick in at 195 and shut down at 175.

Two questions; 1) where/how can I mount these thermo switches?, and 2) what is the best way to supply power to the fan relays so I don't have to go all the way back to the battery?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:43 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Electric fans, where is your thermo switch? (ndirishr1)

There is a port on your passenger side head, just like the one on the driverside. You can put on of them in there, the other one can go in your intake manifold.
I only used one sensor and mounted it in the intake manifold, it kicks on both fans at 195 degrees and off at 180. It has worked very well so far. I also have a jumper to one relay that activates one fan if the A/C compressor kicks on.
I used 10 gauge wire to my relays, which I mounted on the driverside fender well, which I routed from the power lug on the starter. I didn't see any need in going all the way back to the battery, since there is a 2 gauge cable directly from the battery there already.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:54 AM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Re: Electric fans, where is your thermo switch? (ndirishr1)

I installed mine in the lower radiator hose,using one 16" spal puller,seems to be working fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric fans, where is your thermo switch?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric fans, where is your thermo switch?