C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to add fuel injection question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 06:41 AM
jbegler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wanting to add fuel injection question

I am thinking about adding fuel injection to my 74. I want to use basically junk yard parts to keep my costs down. What kind of fuel injection should I get? What makes a good donor for parts? What all parts would I need? I want to make it right and very dependable. I believe that this will be a great upgrade when it is finished.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Old 03-23-2003, 08:01 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Wanting to add fuel injection question (jbegler)

depending on whats available in your junkyards,you got the lt-1's in the caprices,buick roadmasters,vettes,or tuned port injection in the camaros,firebirds,vettes,or throttlebody injection on trucks, cars.Or ls-1's inthe newer camaros firebirds trans ams and vettes.If you go on ebay theres a ton of tpi units and wiring harness available.

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 8:02 AM 3/23/2003]
Old 03-23-2003, 08:21 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I guess it depends on the conditon of your present engine, if ti's tired you may want to upgrade to an LT1 style engine, complete, from another car...but by now those engine are getting tired also, and may need rebuilding also...it's getting to be a concern, anyway....

if it's fine shape, and you just want the better performance, and a fuel economy doubling, like I experienced....you are much cheaper and better off finding an L98 setup...called TPI, factory style...from an '85-91 vette, reading up on the system, using a 1227730 computer, getting a performance chip/cal pak for it, and doing just a top end install....I did a normal TPI setup on my original L48 engine in my '72 4 spd car...and not only increased the power a good bit, but doubled the fuel economy, frankly I should have left it alone at that point, but since then I replaced the engine with a hotrod roller engine...cost me 4 mpg, and the extra power is nice, but for a streeet driver...I dunno it's really worth it for all the money...and I also did the o/drive automatic changeout with a 700r4....all this 5 years ago....today use the 200 4r tranny apparently a much better swap...my 700 died and I had to fix it a year ago allmost....so I don't consider them much of a tranny....

the total changeout with chip and everythig on the original engine 7 years ago cost my about 750 bux....new fuel pump, knock sensor, TPI, injectors, chip, the works bought the TPI ready to go at a swap meet for 350 bux, with injectors...pump was 80 bux, K sensor was 65 from Chevy dealer--only source at the time...K/N ovar air cleaner was another 60 bux,....the chip was overpriced at 225 bux and the computer was junkyard 30 bux....I did my own wiring harness from junkyard connectors soldered everything....

GENE
Old 03-23-2003, 10:03 AM
nitrocharger
Racer

TPI is probably the most straightforward and there are many of us on the forum who have done it should you run into any problems. A junk yard is a good place to start although I haven't had much luck there as usually the motor is pulled from the car and most of the wiring is cut in the process. Try to find the most complete sytem on eBay and don't "piece by piece" everything together, this could get very expensive. The last piece of advise I can give you is know what type of system you want; mass air or speed density. If you have a stock to mild cam, you can use speed density with little trouble and doesn't have the restrictive mass air sensor. If you have a few modifications done to the engine (mild to hot cam), Do the mass air setup (system only able to flow air for about 340 HP), it's very forgiving with engine mods. If you have the $$$, buy the Accel computer and wiring system and you can program your own maps. hope this helps
~Christian
Old 03-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Gleese79
Intermediate

I prefer the option of putting efi on using a manifold like the victor jr.
Theres a few places here in Aus that will weld injector bosses into each runner
and install fuel rails. This is used with a 4 barrel style throttle body.

This fits my old engine and doesnt have any flow restrictions at high revs.
Im doing this in conjunction with an L88 hood with the cold air intake.

Cheers, Chris.

Get notified of new replies

To Wanting to add fuel injection question

Quick Reply: Wanting to add fuel injection question