C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmasters for C3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 11:33 AM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmasters for C3?

Just got back from the muffler shop, having my headers and pipes connected.

While there, I took the opportunity to look at my current mufflers, and it's the original stock GM. Also, the guy at the muffler shop had a look at them, and told me that the baffles were loose. I guess that explains that rattling noise that comes and goes from the rear.

I had planned to install Flowmasters at some point, so maybe I'll do it soon.
What is a good flowmaster to run? The muffler shop recommended the original 40 Series. However, I want something that is quiet until I nail the throttle, that way I stay on good terms with my neighbors at 4am in the morning :D If I went with the 40 series, but added a H-pipe, would that help to mellow the sound? The guy said that I could go with the 50 series which is quieter, but the fit may be tight.

On the performance side, will just the mufflers make a difference over my stock ones? I know the H-pipe will help, but I was curious about the mufflers.

Any advice or comments are appreciated! :cheers: :seeya
Old 03-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Flowmasters for C3? (shotgun_000)

I run the 40 seies with headers and 2.5" pipes w/ an "H" and it's pretty loud. I'm not sure that any of the Flowmaster mufflers are what you would consider "quiet". I like the sound of mine but it's definitley not for everyone. As far as fitment of the 50 series...I've seen some other posts on that and I think the consensus was that they fit without any problems.

There are lots of great choices out there for performance mufflers, do some looking around and I'm sure you'll find something that suits you. :thumbs:
Old 03-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

I have the 40 series with 2.5" true duals, headers, and an X-pipe, and it's actually too quiet for my liking :yesnod:. Go for it :cheers:
Old 03-22-2003, 12:28 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was able to "test listen" to a series of mufflers before deciding on one. I found that the 40s were way to loud for my taste. Some people prefer a louder exhaust, so it's just a matter of personal preference. I ended up going with the 50s (three chamber). If you have been running stock mufflers then even the 50s are going to be quite a change. be sure and have the "H" pipe added. It will balance the system and give a nice mellow rumble at idle. I also get just a touch of resonance at 1500 rpm, but not bad. As far as fit... the guys had no problems fitting them on a 74.. other years may be different. You may notice a little more low end torque since the system will be more free flowing. If you havn't already gone up to 2-1/2" pipes, you may want to consider that also.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried both the 50 and 40 series. The 50's will be a tight fit, and may hang down rendering them partially visable from a side view. The regular 40's are loud, and create cabin resonance. Even louder resonance at certain RPM's. The Delta Flow series 40's are a tad quieter than regular 40's, but not all that much. I have these, along with 2 high flow cats and H pipe, and they do resonate and vibrate the cabin at around 1500rpm to 2000rpm on my application. YES....the flowmasters will increase flow, thus increasing HP. Much better than stock. I think you'll like the sound of the 50's....and so will the neighbors!!!
Eddie
Old 03-22-2003, 01:02 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Flowmasters for C3? (Silvr77)

I went with Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flows. Not too loud, not too quiet. Fit great. Check out the details at:
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/mdsmith/exhaust.htm
Old 03-22-2003, 01:07 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Flowmasters for C3? (Ryan77)

I have them on my truck and hate them for highway running.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:25 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Flowmasters for C3? (BSeery)

I have three chamber flowmasters on my car, and my butthole neighboor doesn't like the sounds. Every time I start the car, he gets pissed off an parks something in the front yard. What a hillbilly.

Anyway I like the mufflers.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:32 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Flowmasters for C3? (mdsmith)

I went with Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flows. Not too loud, not too quiet. Fit great. Check out the details at:
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/mdsmith/exhaust.htm
Same here. Like them a lot.
http://home.attbi.com/~jchadwick/exhaust.htm
Old 03-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Flowmasters for C3? (dman535)

I have three chamber flowmasters on my car, and my butthole neighboor doesn't like the sounds. Every time I start the car, he gets pissed off an parks something in the front yard. What a hillbilly.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Try open headers next time....he'll have a semi-tractor parked there
Old 03-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Flowmasters for C3? (Bobchad)

Same here. Like them a lot.
http://home.attbi.com/~jchadwick/exhaust.htm
I also have the DeltaFlow 50's and that's the way mine sound. It sounds nice when you get on it, but not too loud under normal conditions. No complaints from my neighbors. I actually have mine tucked up very near to stock configuration. It took some work, but it was worth it in my opinion. I had installed Mid Americas true dual exhaust on my 79 and their rear elbows were a bit too long. I cut off the tip so that it wouldn't stick inside the chamber, then I cut off the excess from the inlet of the muffler so it would weld up nicely and not stick over the beginning of the bend of the pipe. Then did the same things with the short tail pipe section. I had to turn the stock hanger around and bend it down a bit to get it to work, but it holds the muffler nicely. I did NOT use the part number that FlowMaster suggests for the C3 vette. I used 942552, which is center inlet, offset outlet. I had originally ordered offset/offset like they suggest, but that put the inlet pipe too close to the tires. Center/offset worked much better.
It looks almost stock and I'm quite pleased with it. If you have true duals, you will definitely want an H-pipe, but that's easy for any exhaust shop to do. Mine is behind the transmission cross-member. Sorry I don't have pics, no digital camera.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:16 PM
CharlieF
Racer

I have the Delta 50s on mine and I like'em. My car is stock with no performance mods and the wife and I use it to cruise ALOT during the summer months. Cabin is quiet with the tops off and there is very little resonance at speed.

Although if I was going to have a more performance oriented ride...I would go with something a little louder.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:02 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Default Re: Flowmasters for C3? (dman535)

Every time I start the car, he gets pissed off an parks something in the front yard. What a hillbilly.
:confused: Why does he think that will make you mad?
Old 03-24-2003, 04:19 PM
plbart3
Intermediate

Default Re: Flowmasters for C3? (CharlieF)

I am running 3 chamber Flows on an '81 with 3 inch full length Hedman headers to a Y pipe. I have to have a converter, so I used the 2 1/2 inch Wagner free flow. It made a lot of difference. Acceptable at start-up and American Thunder underway. No cockpit resonance. I wish I could run true duel chambered side pipes$$$. Vermont says otherwise.

By the way, I saw a '65 conv at a show with one of those internet build sheets. It was a "radio delete". I asked the owner why anyone would want a "radio delete" Vette. He said, "It belonged to a doctor, and he wanted to listen to something that made sense on his way to work". That doctor was a true American. I like the Thrush mufflers too. Used them on Pontiacs. Same thing. Tame in the parking lot, efficiently wonderful on the road.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Flowmasters for C3? (plbart3)

I like the Thrush mufflers too. Used them on Pontiacs. Same thing. Tame in the parking lot, efficiently wonderful on the road.
Dynomax still makes them

I like the Flowmater 40's
Old 03-24-2003, 04:51 PM
tim_briz
Advanced

I am running the flowmaster 50 series single inlet dual outlet mufflers on mine with headers and 2.5 in pipe. My engine is not stock with a fairly large cam and it is not quite by any means. The h-pipe will quite it down some. I do not think that it is too loud but all the neighbors tell me that they know when I start up the car. As far as fitting the mufflers fit without a lot of problems. They cannot be seen from above and they clear the spare tire carrier

Get notified of new replies

To Flowmasters for C3?

Quick Reply: Flowmasters for C3?