C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeroids users..tie rod length

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 10:47 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Steeroids users..tie rod length

Hey guys, like to hear the pivot center length of each tie rod after it's closely aligned....thanks....

GENE
Old 03-22-2003, 01:23 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Steeroids users..tie rod length (mrvette)

ttt
Old 03-22-2003, 07:19 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

mrvette still working on bump steer? I checked my tie rod lengths this weekend and they are about 1 inch too short. I don't know how to lengthen them. Making new sleeves would be easy but that means the drag link must be shortened by an equal amount, again no big deal but what about the mounting of the pitman arm to the control valve. That is the big deal.
Also to eliminate bump steer in a rack and pinion steering the spindles must be curved? Curved spindles cause toe in, rack and pinion steering causes toe out so the 2 cancel.
I am just trying to entertain you until someone better comes along :)
Have a nice evening.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:35 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Steeroids users..tie rod length (norvalwilhelm)

HAHAHA....thinkk there is enough entertainment right here right now....wife has 3 c ount em...3 little girls over here babysitting tonight... 2x4 yrs & one at 2 yrs....so entertainment is NOT the problem....;-)))

but however here is a thing...I figger as long as I"m changing the upward postion of the tie rods, and might as well move them into a straight line...and then Pete suggested a shortcoming of a CTO rack was they were too long...
so if IM welding up something new...might as well be smart about it...and TRY to get it as much theoretically correct as I can...well my buddy the welder can....;-)))

so to find out where/if/how Steeroids thought to settle their kit at....

after all, author's first work....PLagerize, plagerize, plagerize, let no one's work evade your eyes.....

GENE :D :D :D :D
Old 03-22-2003, 07:44 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

I don't know how to measure a racks tie rod length but in our normal C3's you draw a line throught the out ball joints and then the inner pivot points of the upper and lower A arms and where is passes through the tie rod pivot points that is the length. After getting the length right the inner and outer pivot points must pass through the instantanous center.
Where is the instantanous center? Who knows but if the car toe's out on bump steer you are pointing above it so either lower the inner tie rod or raise the out. If you toe in during bump steer you are below the instantanous center so raise the inner or lower the outer.
Real simple until you acutually try raising and lower the ends.
I will make my own bump steer gage this summer.
My big entertainment tonight is the TV or this computer. Wait a minute. Wonder if the wife is also bored? :) :) Could think of something else to do. We could go to Chapters and read the magazines for Free. :) :)
What were you thinking :nono:
Old 03-22-2003, 07:58 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Well, actually, the wife and me were playing around this afternoon, and we left the garage door open, neighbors came knocking wanting to borrow a hole saw...to do a damn door mentioned earlier this week...man they were persistant....;-((( they KNEW we was home....natch....

Mostly, being mortal, I just type here, and turn my head over to see the TV /entertainment center....no biggie,...plenty of mental stuff going on....

GENE
Old 03-22-2003, 08:08 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Gene is it only you and I that have nothing to do. Hello world anyone want to talk to us? Please. :lurk:
Old 03-22-2003, 09:21 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

:yawn: :D

Get notified of new replies

To Steeroids users..tie rod length

Quick Reply: Steeroids users..tie rod length