C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 10:36 AM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3?

Jeez, I feel like in laying in recliner driving my 70. Hate it, anyone else? Maybe I'm just getting old :eek:
Old 03-22-2003, 10:45 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3? (90 droptop)

I would like to be able to add head restraints to the top, thereby increasing the seat height by about 6" or so....yes mine are even MORE reclined than yours are, probably...as I took the rear support clips off the runners, dropping the rear of the seat about 1.5 inches or so....for the interior height....
my backbone is too long and too stiff, I"M age 59 nearly...

GENE
Old 03-22-2003, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3? (mrvette)

I also hate the angle of the seat back. I added alot of washers as shims under the adjustment screw ,to to keep it from bending, this has helped alot.
Tom :)
Old 03-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3? (T-Top Tom 1)

Have any of you folks redone your seats? When I reapolstered my seats I used new foams and that made a word of difference. Also the seat backs can be broken and require some welding. I'm short and used to have to stuff a towel between the seat back and the seat so I wouldn't be horizontal.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:39 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3? (Roadster71)

I absolutely love the angle of the seats. Maybe cause I'm a little tall, 6', but I've always commented about how even though it's a small space I love the way I fit in it. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. :rolleyes:
Old 03-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Tom T
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3? (90 droptop)

I do also... though my '79 has good seats taht unadjustable angle
is not to me liking as I am only 5'9". I need to sit a little more upright
as I tend to lean towards the steering wheel and it's not good for my lower back. Oh well....
Old 03-22-2003, 02:31 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3? (Tom T)

My '68 isn't all that bad, but I feel I'm lying down when I drive my C4. :crazy:
Old 03-22-2003, 03:53 PM
standup
Drifting

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable the seats are, especially for a 32 year old car without lumbar support or electric adjustments.

I guess you could always fit Recaro seats, if you want your car to look like a French supertrain :U
Old 03-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3? (T-Top Tom 1)

I also hate the angle of the seat back. I added alot of washers as shims under the adjustment screw ,to to keep it from bending, this has helped alot.
Tom :)
I hated it too, untill I fabricated a 1" thick aluminum block to fit under the seat release strap where it fastenes to the seat bottom. Painted it to match the seat too. Then used stainless washers to shim the bumpers top and bottom. Nice and solid...upright and straight!!! :steering: :steering: :auto: :auto:
Eddie...the short guy! :seeya
Old 03-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3? (tshort)

I absolutely love the angle of the seats. Maybe cause I'm a little tall, 6', but I've always commented about how even though it's a small space I love the way I fit in it. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. :rolleyes:
:iagree:
Old 03-22-2003, 06:41 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hated the angle also so at first I added a spacer to tilt the back of the seat straight. It helped but I finally removed the seat and added alot of spacers under the back 2 bolts and even a few spacers under the front bolt. I now sit higher and with a much straighter back. With the carpet covering the spacer you don't notice it.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:51 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3? (norvalwilhelm)

Of course whatever works, but I would/have used wood for thick supports like that...just easier to handle....and yes, like I took out all my extra height things, and it's all hidden, you added under the rug....ME, I took padding out....every little 1/2 inch helps....

I had an A body convertible once that had the seat redone...new padding too...huge mistake, that extra full over stuffed way they cut most paddings today, makes for great car show looks, but adds 2 inches of height....so on the vette here, I used the old padding, and removed spring support rods too....taking off the black seatbelt cover also gave another 2 inches....

GENE

GENE
Old 03-22-2003, 09:28 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3? (mrvette)

I don't mind the angle so much, it's still a lot more comfortable than my '66. However, the '72 I sold last year had leather seats, and I thought it was a nicer seat to sit in than my '71's vinyl.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:21 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez, I feel like in laying in recliner driving my 70. Hate it, anyone else? Maybe I'm just getting old :eek:
Nahhh, just like sitting in a F-16 - my own little ground hugging fighter jet :jester Ask me again in 10 years - my opinion might change by then :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3?

Quick Reply: Anyone else hate the seatback angle of thier early C-3?