C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor wires... what is the difference in milimeters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 04:33 AM
luvmy73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor wires... what is the difference in milimeters?

I am assuming that the "mm" on my ignition wires means milimeters, but was wondering what does this actually mean as far as performance goes? I have a set of 7mm accel wires on the car now, and a set of 8mm ones sitting in a box. Which ones are better for my application. My engine is a 350 with a mild cam in it, and a factory tach and qjet.

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:12 AM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Distributor wires... what is the difference in milimeters? (luvmy73)

Yes it is millimeters (core size) means very little for a street motor. They are worth it on some race motors, but not even close to worth buying for your application. Your 7mm are perfect. There is one assumption, though. Your plug wires must be in good shape for this to hold. :cheers:
Old 03-22-2003, 01:37 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Re: Distributor wires... what is the difference in milimeters? (luvmy73)

7 mm or 8 mm is the outside diameter of the wire. In general that 1 mm increases translates into only an increase of insulation thickness. The design of the core (conductor) is of more importance than the thickness of insulation. A spiral or helical wound metal conductor will provide top performance while limiting radio interferance. Don't get sucked into installing solid core wires.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:06 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As the others have said, the extra thickness is in the insulation and, in itself, doen't increase performance. However, the extra insulation can help prevent leaks and crossfiring with very high energy ignitions. The really huge wires you see are strickly for looks and don't do anymore for performance than do wings or fart pipes.

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor wires... what is the difference in milimeters?

Quick Reply: Distributor wires... what is the difference in milimeters?