C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam and lifter recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 12:40 AM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and lifter recommendation

I have a 71 small block, stock 350/270 engine, 8.5:1 compresssion, 4-speed, and a 3.36 rear end. I have the water pump, timing chain, intake manifold, and valve covers removed for maintenance. My hot rod buddies are really hyped on me doing some mods to the car and I really want to. BUT, I want to keep a completely stock appearance. What cam and lifter combination should I go to get some "out of the gate improvment" and that wonderful sound of a mild cam when idling? I'm going to to talk to Comp Cams and Summit techs tomorrow. Thanks guys!

Rick in Tennessee
Old 03-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Aaron-74
Drifting

Default Re: Cam and lifter recommendation (Rick Church)

Depends on what you want to do. You base your cam around compression,exhaust, intake...etc

With that compression, I probably wouldn't go above a CompCams XE-256....

-Aaron
Old 03-22-2003, 02:25 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I doubt you need to smog test your car in Tennesse. My first choice would be Iskenderian (Isky) Mega cam - like Mega Hydraulic 262 cam. This short duration cam doesn't need headers - dosen't reach high enough RPM for exhaust savenging of headers. Single pattern should work well with short duration and low compression. The tight 108 lobe separtation is the best for 350 chevy - according to what I've read - and provides that wonderful overlap noise. Expect powerful torque at low RPM and great throttle response. Always call manufacture for lifter recommendations - they usually sell complete matched kit/setup. The Isky Mega 264 may need more compression to be optimized and won't recommend for yours. :yesnod:
Comp Cam's doesn't have anything on the shelf with 108 lobe separation. If I didn't live in California and need a C.A.R.B. exemption, I be running an Isky! :chevy
Old 03-22-2003, 06:25 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay with a cam that will work with all other stock valve train components. That way you dont need to change valvesprings. That would mean the best candidate from Comp Cams would be the XE256. You could also check out the factory grind L82 cam. The L82 profile is not all that shabby. Then you could still claim you have a stock cam and not be lying. The L82 is much better than yur current L48 cam. Plan on adding a new timing chain and gear set while yur at it.

If you combine an L82 cam with factory 64cc cast iron heads you'll still look totally stock. This combination would mimmick the L46 optioned in 1970 which was rated @350HP

[Modified by Jvette73, 5:33 AM 3/22/2003]
Old 03-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Comp Cams HE268H, max. for stock valve springs.
For perf. if you drive hard.

:cool:
Old 03-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

I like the factory L82 cam myself......I am also running the off-road mufflers and has a good but somewhat stock sound.

Hey Rick, I have driven my '70 Corvette up to Clarksville a few times. My brother-in-law flew Blackhawks out of Ft. Campbell. I would stay with them in Clarkesville and then drive over to Bowling Green for the cruise-in. Have you ever been to that pizza/brew-pub in downtown Clarksville? I can't remember the name of it.... :confused: :chevy
Old 03-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Cam and lifter recommendation (Bob Jenkins)

Rick,
You know down deep you want to hear thump thump thump sound of a cam rolling around inside that small block chevy. Nothing radical, just a splash of lope at idle. As awesome as your car looks and being a chrome bumper year to boot it seems criminal not to be able to hear it, just air wooshing out the back...
Your timing chain was completely shot and the motor is apart, seems like the time to to go ahead and pull the cam out while you are there. You already have 2 people who will do all the work or Larry anyway.

You can keep your stock appearance with the cam change as I know you want to do. Of course you would gain more with a intake change, but that is out of the question.

I am sure one of the cam companies can tell you what cam will give you what you seek..That lope sound and big torque off the line.. :yesnod:

You have a 4 speed to boot,
Seems like a no brainer to me, get a cam while you are there or you will wish you did everytime you drive your 71..

Oh yea, thats right..I am one of those hot rod guys though..
Neil in Tenn
Old 03-23-2003, 12:06 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

"The Dude" (Oregon), has the Comp 268H in his '80 4 speed, and it sounds really nice. He says he likes the performance, but you could check with him for more details.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Cam and lifter recommendation (ORVette)

Comp Cams 256XE or 262XE, I wouldn't go any larger for what you are looking for. They sell these cams in a "K" kit, it comes with lifters, timing chain and gears, valve springs, and everything else you'll need for a cam swap :cheers:

[Modified by Ryan77, 7:32 PM 3/23/2003]
Old 03-23-2003, 10:21 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with the others as to the range of cams you would probably be happiest with but I think you should consider new springs also. While the original specs of your springs may be compatible with many of the milder cams that you might use, those specs are for new springs and do not necessarilly apply to years old and well used springs. IMO, new springs would be worth the cost and effort.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam and lifter recommendation

Quick Reply: Cam and lifter recommendation