C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost ready to lift body

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 06:58 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost ready to lift body

Here is what I came up with to lift the body. The up-posts each consist of two laminated 2"x4"x10' and the cross-post is two 2"x6"x8' laminated together. The chain-block is a harborfreight 1 ton unit. The bottom of the chain-block is 9 1/2 feet off the floor which should be ok. I still have some work to do before I lift (hood, radiator, ...) but all the body mount bolts are out.

[Modified by VetteNut72, 5:06 PM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-21-2003, 08:05 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Almost ready to lift body (VetteNut72)

Aman with a mission: have much trouble getting the body mount bolts out? That is the only thing that is stoping me from attempting to do the same thing.
Good luck :cheers:
Old 03-21-2003, 08:25 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm right on your heels. Just waiting for the 1 ton lift to get here from Harbor Freight. I was hoping to do it this weekend. My casters for the body dolly came today, but the lift was shipped in a separate box. :cry No telling when it might arrive.

mark
Old 03-21-2003, 08:56 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Default Re: Almost ready to lift body (redwingvette)

redwingvette,

The bolts were not as much of a problem as I first thought they would be. I replaced the #4 mounts about 5 years ago and that was a real pain. Major PITA putting the rear conv deck springs back onto the hooks. The #1 mount bolt on the driver's side came out but the pass side broke in half while applying torque. The #2 and #3 bolts would not budge so I took the heads off with a 2" abrasive cut-off wheel and a die grinder. The whole process for 1, 2 and 3 mount bolts required only one afternoon. Not too bad really - but I have spent lots of time removing all the other stuff and getting ready for the lift. Since I have "touched" everything that I could get to with the body on over the last 7 years, I'm hoping the #2 and #3 mounts and hidden rust/dirt is all I will have to deal with. While the body is off I will also be running a new fuel supply line for the EFI. Work goes slow because of my health (when they passed out hearts, I got a defective one) but I work on it when I can.

Old 03-21-2003, 09:06 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Default Re: Almost ready to lift body (81vette)

quote:
_____
I'm right on your heels. Just waiting for the 1 ton lift to get here from Harbor Freight
_____

And they are on sale right now for $10 off :yesnod: . When you are on a limited budget and fixed income like me, these things can help. :thumbs:

Old 03-24-2003, 01:32 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Looks familiar. ;)

[Modified by 71,454,4spd, 12:34 AM 3/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Almost ready to lift body

Quick Reply: Almost ready to lift body