C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put intake back on... question about distributor intall now.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 05:05 PM
luvmy73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put intake back on... question about distributor intall now.

I just finsihed putting my intake manifold back on after having it blasted and re-painted. I purchased a uesd distributor with the tach drive so I could get my tachometer to work as well. I dropped it right in, and it fell right into place and the rotor is pointing at the number one cylinder as well. I really don't know alot about distributors... should I take it to a mechanic to adjust it and install it properly before I start it? What could happen if I tried to start it and it was out of alignment, or in the wrong configuration?

Thanks,

Mike.

[Modified by luvmy73, 4:05 PM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-21-2003, 07:07 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Put intake back on... question about distributor intall now. (luvmy73)

First off when you removed it was it at tdc or did you set it up at tdc before you dropped it in?
Take number 1 spark plug out and have someone ttap the starter over with little clicks at a time while you have your finger in the plug hole when it starts to blow your figer out then number 1 piston is coming up,then look at your balancer and timing mark and slowely tap motor over till mark is lined up on timing tab.Now look at your distributor is the rotor pointing to number one spark plug wire on the cap?If it is then tighten it down and fire it up if it isnt then youll have to pull it up and turn it till its pointing to that wire on the cap thendrop it down to engage the oil pump shaft.any questions just ask.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:43 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Put intake back on... question about distributor intall now. (patsnitrovette)

If it is not in the right position then one of two things can happen.
1. It wont start
2. if it does start it will back fire

Follow the steps from above and it will put it in the right spot to get it started and then you can set the timing to the correct spot with a good timing light.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:52 AM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Put intake back on... question about distributor intall now. (redwingvette)

When I removed my distributor I noted where my distributor was pointing and marked a reference point. Then I just used the reference direction when installing the new distributor and the motor started up with very little movement of the new distributor.

Get notified of new replies

To Put intake back on... question about distributor intall now.

Quick Reply: Put intake back on... question about distributor intall now.