C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned!

I should know better after all this time ;) . I bought a Corvette product on Ebay at the "buy it now" price. I received it today and it is of very good quality so certainly no complaint there. It came directly from the manufacturer and not the seller. I paid $90.00 on Ebay to the seller and the manufacturer's web site lists it at $50.00. I checked this afternoon. Now that I know the name of the company producing the product!

What is very interesting to me is the EBay auction had a nuance in language that I initially considered a spelling mistake. But in fact I believe that spelling mistake disguised the name (probably copyright) of the manufacturer. If I knew the name I would have done an internet search and found the apparent charade.

So I was burned. Live and learn. This was not an expensive lesson. But it is annoying. And I have no recourse. The product is as offered and and I agreed to the price. It was delivered in a timely fashion as per my instructions. So there you go......Watch out on EBay!
Old 03-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned! (paul79)

I have yet to be burned.....But you gotta do your homework and be lucky as well....Sorry it happened.... :seeya How ya doing by the way Paul
Old 03-21-2003, 03:25 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Sorry to hear about that. $40.00 bucks is cheap schooling for you and your sharing it is even cheaper schooling for many of us.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned! (Avette4me)

at least you got your stuff, I got burned for several hundred bucks buy some scumbag that simply didn't send anything. Escam does nothing to help you. :nonod:
Old 03-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned! (Alwyn678)

I hurt my wrist today at work. You know the old slipped wrench trick. Bang, the flesh and bone hits on a sharp piece of metal. But the blood has gone away and the swelling is reacting well to a few barley sandwiches.

In more general terms, I am awaiting the week of April 14. I have not seen my car since October and I am tired of looking at my own archive of pics. There is nothing like the real thing. But the itch this year is much stronger than in years gone by. The winter has been very difficult with the deep snow and -30 temps. I just want to turn the key and put in Irene Cara's "What a Feeling" in the CD. But just a few more weeks....

Then there are all those new parts sitting in the basement. I may take several months off to get them on the car! BTW, thanks for asking. My wrist is hurting quite a bit.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My brother buys and sells antiques via eBay quite often. He's been burned enuff that I learned his lesson for him. I adopt a "look but don't touch" attitude as far as eBay goes. At least you didn't lose +$100.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 03-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned! (Avette4me)

FWIW, I registered negative feedback for the seller. To the extent you can do that in 80 characters!
Old 03-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what did you buy so we don't make the same mistake? :confused:
Old 03-21-2003, 03:51 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're kidding?
You left hegative feedback for a seller who did everything correctly?
You do realize that everytime you buy from a vendor that you are paying more than they paid for it - right? Lots of vendors buy from someone else and up the price to make a profit. They don't tell you who they buy from so you don't bypass them. You were NOT burned. You simply bought from the middle man rather than the source. This is what retail (or non-manufaturer) business is based on.

Larry
Old 03-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned! (lbell101)

The retail price from the manufacturer was as I noted. That is the price stated on its web site. Its mark-up is probably 50%. So mark-up another 40% to EBay: what costs $25.00 to produce sells for $90.00. I have no regrets. The EBay seller probably distributes for manufacturer's cost plus 10%. Do the math. I work at a GM dealer and am quite familiar with margins on labour and parts.

Old 03-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Koz

Default Re: EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned! (85_togo)

so what did you buy so we don't make the same mistake? :confused:
:withstupid: What did you order? Correct name spelling please.. :jester
Old 03-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned! (85_togo)

Ibell101 makes a good point: there are re-sellers on EBay and they do deserve to make a profit. My point in this example is that the margins were excessive. But I bought and paid the price. And I expressed my displeasure to the seller through negative feedback on EBay. He may or may not respond. We shall see. I will deal with him directly.

I see no real purpose in exposing the seller and the product in this Forum. My post was simply a generic caveat emptor re buying on EBay. Please treat it as such. I never have, and will not in future, renounce named vendors in this Forum. That is not my policy.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:33 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Paul, we all know your a hell of a nice guy around here, helpful and all that.
I just disagree that he deserved a neg. After all, YOU bought using a "Buy it Now". Then you leave a neg for too high a price once you found out what he probably paid for it. That seems kinda crappy.
I'm always shopping around for the best price. But if I buy something and then find it cheaper elsewhere I certainly don't blame the seller. I should have shopped it more. Once I find it cheaper I, of course, steer other buyers to the better price.
BTW - but it now prices are almost always high.

Larry

Arrg - we posted at the same time!

[Modified by lbell101, 4:36 PM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-21-2003, 04:33 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned! (Twin_Turbo)

I remember that thread. Sorry to read that things did not turn out well :( .
Old 03-21-2003, 04:47 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is called free interprise. Every company buys or produces a product and sells it for the price the market will bear. This is how people or companies stay in business.

Do you know the profit on furniture...30 year home loan mortgages....
your power bill....your gas bill...evertime you fill your car up....credit cards.

The man did not deserve a negative feedback on his account.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:08 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It pays to do your homework. I recently was almost burned for 5x the amount my local Chevy dealer charged me.

The way the ad read, I assumed it was not available any longer through GM as it was a NOS item. But a simple phone call had me my part 12 hr's later from the dealership. That's one story, my other is I got burned big time on a complete set of Rally wheels, caps and rings.

If anyone here on this forum is in search of the same item's, contact me PLEASE before bidding with a certain individual-------lzurinsky. $657.00 FOR TRASH, I had to discard and buy new. Really---------that fricking bad!

Other than that, E-bay sellers have done me well---------that's enough!

One last thing, Paul, if you got what was advertized the way you have said, this E-bayer does not , repeat, does not ,deserve negative feedback. JMO :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 03-21-2003, 05:14 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

I just disagree that he deserved a neg. After all, YOU bought using a "Buy it Now". Then you leave a neg for too high a price once you found out what he probably paid for it.
I'm sorry Paul, but I have to agree. If the item was fairly represented, there isn't any reason for negative feedback. Would you have left negative feedback, if you hadn't used the "Buy it now" option, but fought it out with other bidders to the same price?
I've been burned similiarly a few times, kicked myself, and promised myself, I'd educate myself better the next time. I seem to be a slow learner. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned!

Old 03-21-2003, 06:07 PM
luvmy73
Racer

Paul, you should not have left him a negative feedback. Just because you did not perform the necessary "homework" does not mean that the seller should be repremanded. Sometimes I pay too much for things but I realize in the end that if I had been more patient I might have gotten the item at the discouted price.

Also you said you purchased it using "Buy it now", I am curious as to how much the auction started it. Perhaps that Buy it Now was targeted for people just like you, and had you waited you might have gotten it at a more reasonable price.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned! (luvmy73)

Paul, it does sound like you burned yourself on this one. However, you have still highlighted an important point, even if it wasn't the intended one - research before buying.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:32 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I just disagree that he deserved a neg. After all, YOU bought using a "Buy it Now". Then you leave a neg for too high a price once you found out what he probably paid for it. That seems kinda crappy.
I'm always shopping around for the best price. But if I buy something and then find it cheaper elsewhere I certainly don't blame the seller. I should have shopped it more. Once I find it cheaper I, of course, steer other buyers to the better price.
BTW - but it now prices are almost always high.

Larry

Arrg - we posted at the same time!

[Modified by lbell101, 4:36 PM 3/21/2003]
:iagree:

IMHO the seller did nothing wrong...neg feedback was uncalled for. You paid the price, you got the product as advertised, you live with the fact you paid too much, after all it was your choice. If anything you should see about retracting the neg feedback. I think no feedback would have been appropriate.

Quick Reply: EBay Got Me-Lesson Learned!