C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 11:58 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default [Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness?

I am getting warmed up for a Holley Pro-Jection 900CFM TBI install on my 1980. Some of the things I need to figure out is ----

where do I put the computer?

where do I pass the harness through the firewall?

I have a/c on the car and that takes up most of the right side firewall.

Ideas fellows ????
Old 03-21-2003, 03:22 AM
hogger67
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness? (BSeery)

I just recently bought my Vette. The guy before me installed a TPI system on it and the computer is behind the dash on the passenger side. Not sure yet exactly how he ran the wires through the firewall but can look further into if you want.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:16 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: [Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness? (BSeery)

I placed mine behind the passenger side dash. I also have AC and ran the harness through just over the AC box. There are some other wires going through the firewall in that spot and I made an additional hole right next to the factory one.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:46 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: [Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness? (zwede)

Passenger side under the dash and i ran it through the passenger side also behind the wiper cowl area.Pics on my webpage.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:37 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I routed the wire harness through the firewall just behind the tach and I have the ECU and the control panel mounted behind the passenger seat, inside the storage box. :yesnod: :steering:
Old 03-21-2003, 09:05 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: [Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness? (groovyjay)

On another thread I commented about mods a year ago to fit my too tall arthritic butt, and when that was done, and the rack/pinion installed....I also rewired the entire body/engine harnesses.....the FI was originally routed near the gas pedal area...and that was a HUGE mistake as snaking that over the radio to the computer behind map pocket was a nitemare....
so when the wiring was redone, I also re did the computer...and it's now under the radio on the console...wires cut through the wall just lo and pass side of dist....looking at duct work inside there is a lower duct joint between the center flapper section..and the fixed wirewall section...just in the crotch formed there through firewall....

GENE
Old 03-21-2003, 09:37 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness? (mrvette)

I also mounted my FAST ECM on the inner passenger firewall behind the dash. I made an aluminum plate and mounted the ECM, MSD Digital 6, and a relay center on it, then routed all the engine wiring through a mil-spec 48-pin ITT/Cannon circular connector.

All I have to do is unlock the connector and rotate it and the entire engine electrical's are easily disconnected. Then I covered the wiring harnesses with heat/chemical resistance Raychem heatshrink/harness wrap.

Old 03-21-2003, 12:43 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: [Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness? (mrvette)

Those who mounted behind the passenger side dash all had something I don't have. Room.
I have something they dont have though, a glove box. And that is what is in the way.

I can't mount to a rear compartment as there is not enough cable length.
I might have to mount under the radio and have the wiring go out the transmission tunnel / firewall area.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:52 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

I still have my full glove box as well, the ECM is mounted over to the side of the glove box on the inside of the firewall, more towards the center.

Behind the radio is also a good place as you suggested, I used to have my old DFI mounted there, it just wasn't as convenient to access the fuses and relays.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:53 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: [Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness? (Monty)

DAYUM MONTY, we all knows you gots a flyin' machine there, but didn't know you was into aircraft!!!

can you use the word....overkill???

GENE :D :D :jester
Old 03-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Hey, they've got a lot of cool aircraft stuff that works really well on hot rods - mil-spec connectors, stainless t-bolt clmaps, AN hoses/fittings, nomex reinforced silicon tubing, etc.

I'm just a sucker for trick stuff, especially when it makes sense.

Get notified of new replies

To [Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness?

Quick Reply: [Fuel Injection guys] - Where did you put the computer and route the harness?