C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 08:55 PM
70shark
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts Question

Hi, I'm the new guy. Hope that somebody here can answer my questions. First, I have a '70 coupe, and the vacuum system has gone completely out. I've seen electric headlight and wiper door motor conversions done on cars on the web and in magazines, but can't seem to find any info on parts or how to go about it. If anyone can offer any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Second, I saw in someone else's thread about how they were putting a single DIN sized CD-player in a Vette, and had some kind of adapter from a company called American International or something like that, I was wondering where I could find one for myself, as I have already cut the dash ( it was cut when I got it, so I figured why not go ahead and cut it more ) and am looking for something to cover what is left showing around the CD Player.

Finally, ( I know that I ask a lot of questions, this is the last one, I promise ) My power windows went out today, and I'm thinking it's the circuit breaker, one problem, I can't seem to find the stupid thing. I was going to check the breaker before I check the wiring, ( I know that the switches are good, by the way ), because the previous owner chopped up the wiring really good, and I'm finding it really difficult to figure out what exactly goes to what, even with a wiring diagram close at hand. So if anyone could tell me where the circuit breaker is located, I would be forever thankful.
Anyway, glad to be a member of this forum, as it is the best on the net I have found to date.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:31 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: Parts Question (70shark)

Hello new guy and welcome to the forum! Can't help you with the first two questions but on your last question, try looking for the fuse panel right above the bright dimmer switch under the dash against the firewall. Good luck! :cheers:
Old 03-21-2003, 03:01 AM
standup
Drifting

I think the vacuum system is one of the unique things about the Vette. Before you go electrical, you should consider fine tuning or replacing the vacuum system. A complete repair kit may cost you around $120 from supporting vendors, and from what I've learned from this site...it's not that difficult. I'll find out soon enough, 'cause I'm going to wake my system up later this year.

Just a thought...Good Luck :)
Old 03-21-2003, 08:06 AM
cruisin_davey_g
Heel & Toe

Hi to the new guy! About your vacuum system. I agree, when that "mother" starts giving you trouble, it can be a real "bummer" (been there, done that!). Most of the conversions to which you are seeing in mags & at shows are the result of somebody making that stuff up themselves, because I haven't been able to find any such conversion kits available. Some of these guys that show cars are real good at doing stuff like that. I'm with you in wanting to convert to some sort of electrical system for my headlights & wiper door. I've got a 72 coupe that I'm workin' on right now. We're trying to perfect such a system right now to replace the vacuum. My 'vette is being put into a "high-tech" stage & is receiving many mods. But, the car will look the same cosmetically (don't want to alter the look of the stock 72 bod.) All of my mods will be under the hood & on the chassis. Let me know how you're makin' out with the vacuum thing & take care. Davey G!
Old 03-21-2003, 08:10 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Hello new guy! I'm using elec. headlights on my 79. You'll have all the information you'll need about both the headlight and viper door conversions by clicking this link:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...threadid=24290

:steering:
Old 03-21-2003, 08:18 AM
cruisin_davey_g
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Parts Question (groovyjay)

"Groovyjay" hey, thanx for the info on the lights & wiper "thingies". BTW: Are those "seventeens" on your one Red 'vette????? :chevy :flag
Old 03-21-2003, 08:23 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Parts Question (cruisin_davey_g)

"Groovyjay" hey, thanx for the info on the lights & wiper "thingies". BTW: Are those "seventeens" on your one Red 'vette????? :chevy :flag
No worries, thatt's why we are here for. Actually they are 20" all around and the car is now paited black!!!! :eek: :cheers:
Old 03-21-2003, 09:58 AM
70shark
7th Gear

Default Re: Parts Question (groovyjay)

Thanks a lot for the info on the electric headlight conversion kit groovyjay, hopefully I'll be able to put one on my 70 soon.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:12 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Looks like you got the answers, so I'll just say "Hiya... and welcome" :seeya
Old 03-21-2003, 01:50 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi, I'm the new guy...
Finally, ( I know that I ask a lot of questions, this is the last one, I promise )
Welcome, new guy (or new blood, as we like to call ya).
I hope this isn't your last question. This is what the forum is all about.
The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked (nor answered).

Good luck with your issues.

I would suggest reading more about troubleshooting the vacuum system.
Yes, it is complicated and can get expensive (some of the parts) - but IMO
it will cost more to go electric. The vacuum system is pretty reliable. My
75 system is still working well after 27 years. You may just have a broken
or disconnected hose.

:seeya

[Modified by NHvette, 1:51 PM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-23-2003, 03:05 AM
70shark
7th Gear

Default Re: Parts Question (NHvette)

Nah, it's not my last question, promise.

About the vacuum system, I've actually got a Chilton's manual on the way, with all the diagrams, etc, etc... and I'm going to give it one last shot. I'm pretty sure that whoever patched it ( read:rigged it ) last hooked up stuff wrong, cause the diagram that I do have doesn't match up. In addition, I found a missing vacuum hose, the one that runs from one of the manual override headlight switches to the actual light switch, I'm hooking it up tomorrow.

Um, seeing as how you're an electrician in your spare time, and you have a 70 Vette disassembled, can you give me any help on the location/appearance of the power window circuit breaker? It's getting kinda hot here in AL, and not having working windows in my daily driver isn't exactly fun.

I used to work in the Chevrolet service shop here, and I remember just how fun the wiring on the C4s and C5s were, and I'm not really looking forward to handling my own Vette without someone who has a little more knowledge in that field than me.
Anyway, I need to get some sleep, cause tomorrow I'm gonna replace the plugs, see why the carb is flooding out, and see if I can't track down that circuit breaker.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:36 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I don`t believe there is a circuit breaker for the windows. The only circuit breaker is gonna be a fuse. It is possible that you blew a fuse though. Check the fuse block for a blown fuse.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:24 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only circuit breaker(no fuse) for the P/W is a little block on the firewall inside the engine compartment on the driver's side. It is a thermal limiter and should re-set itself after it cools off. The most common reason the windows don't work is poor grounds and corroded connections . Also check for pinched / cut wires in the door hinge area.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 9:27 AM 3/23/2003]
Old 03-23-2003, 01:43 PM
70shark
7th Gear

Default Re: Parts Question (silvervetteman)

Well, that answers my question. I appreciate it very much silvervetteman.

:thumbs: :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Parts Question

Quick Reply: Parts Question