C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O-ring caliper conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O-ring caliper conversion questions

What are the advantages of the O-ring conversion? Do they help prevent air in calipers that is typically caused by rotor runout? What else are they good for? Thanks for any input.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:39 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: O-ring caliper conversion questions (Jvette73)

I had http://www.fixvetteparts.com/ do mine. Not too expensive, they came back on time (I wanted my originals back) and so far I've got great solid brakes. The mushy brake pedal isn't quite so mushy anymore.

I think you'll get feedback that the O-ring calipers are a bit more tolerant of rotor runout. That's helpful given the fixed caliper design of our brake system vs. C4 and C5 floating calipers that might be able to tolerate a bit more runout. BTW, I believe that the C4 and C5 calipers use an O-ring too.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:56 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: O-ring caliper conversion questions (mayberg)

Im havin trouble with stripped bleeder threads on the right rear inner bleeder. Im gonna drill and tap that one for a larger bleeder screw. I was lookin at the o-ring conversion kits from VBP. Looks like complete conversion kits for both front and rear can be had for about $60. Since I can do the conversion myself, its looking more and more welcoming.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:54 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My car sits for extended periods and the o-ring pistons is the only cure I found for my calipers weeping fluid. They do reduce or eliminate air pumping that is a problem with the lip seal type pistons. Mine have been in service for over 10 years with no problems. I also switched to DOT 5 fluid while everything was apart and clean :cheers:
Old 03-20-2003, 06:41 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I converted mine about a 1 1/2 years ago and have not had to touch the brakes since. There is more than one design out there. One that is a modified stock piston so you can fit and o-ring in it. This does not really prevent the piston from rocking in the caliper bore like a lip seal piston does. The pistons I got are zero tolerance, These are the same diameter from top to bottom, very little ability to rock in the bore and cause year on the sleeve. I also have seen a dual oring zero tolerance at past corvette shows but do not know where to purchase them today. Regardless, I think the zero tolerance piston with an o-ring is the much better design. Dont bother unless you already have sleeved calipers.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:31 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: O-ring caliper conversion questions (PatG)

PatG, why not bother unless I have sleeved calipers? Are you saying there will be no imeadiate benifit unless I have SS calipers? I think my front ones are, but im not sure about the rear. However, when I recently rebuilt them, they all cleaned up spotless without any pitting in the bores.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:52 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

The SS sleeved calipers are a must since you can have pitting of the cast iron materia and may leak then no matter what type of piston seals you have installed.

The O-Ring pistons seal much more tight to the bore than the OEMs. I just did the VBP O-ring install and it was VERY easy and straightforward to do.

The OEM pistons are soo loose in the bores that once you pop the outer dust boot, the pistons will spring right out of the bore. With the O-rins pistons and springs installed, thay really dont move much at all since thay are a tighter seal and will stay at the point of where you pushed them in to. I can see right off the top that this would help with lessening the air pumping effect with any possible rotor runout.

I highly suggest the O-ring conversion kit but again, you must have SS sleeved calipers. Mine were replaced at some point before I bought the car. Most likely you may have already had your replaced at on point too and you might already have the SS sleeved calipers and not know it-if you bought your car used.

Brent....
Old 03-21-2003, 02:21 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Precision Engineering kits. http://www.fixvetteparts.com/

Well satisfied. Their pistons are not modified stock design pistons, but a new design to help prevent rocking in the bores.

Get notified of new replies

To O-ring caliper conversion questions

Quick Reply: O-ring caliper conversion questions