C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right Rear Caliper Leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 02:51 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Right Rear Caliper Leaking...

I pulled my rear calipers to install new rear parking brake cables. The calipers are less than a year old and did not leak before the removal. I disconnected the 'fixed' brake line from the trailing arm at the time also.

Re-assembled and bled the calipers. Now I have staining on the trailing arm and am finding small puddles at just below the bearing assembly/rear of trailing arm. I suspect there is a leak at the fixed brake line although it is snug and does not appear cross-threaded.

Looks like I have another leak to resolve (never ends...)... :mad
Old 03-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Right Rear Caliper Leaking... (TedH)

How does the pedal feel after you bled them. Is is soft or spongey? im havin that problem now. I just replaced my pads and front hoses. Ive bled twice. Once with the gravity method and once with a helper pushing the pedal and the pedal is still soft and will go the the floor. The pedal was hard prior to this work. I did notice a squirt of fluid from one of the caliper pistons. Im afraid that maybe when replacing the pads I let one of the p[istons come out too far, and when I stuffed it back in, I may have inverted part of the lip seal. Its a saga for me. I had to "put down the wrench and walk away" Maybe one of yur lip seals got inverted too.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:36 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Right Rear Caliper Leaking... (Jvette73)

Be sure to bleed rear calipers in following order Left Inner, Left Outer, right Inner, Right OUter. Order of bleeding makes the difference.

My brake pad is solid. Just some seepage. I'm going to take a closer look this evening. I suspect I'll be disconnecting the hard brake line and re-attaching; requiring a full bleed of the rear calipers (again). I hate leaks... :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 03-20-2003, 04:50 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ted, I did follow the correct order as per Haynes manual. My problem is further complicated since the right rear inner bleeder threads in the caliper are stripped. these are 5/16"x24 bleeders. My plan is to remove that caliper and drill and tap for a 3/8'x24 bleeder. I got the tap. I just need to get the 3/8 bleeder screw from Autozone for 99cents, and a 21/64" or Q bit to work with the 3/8 tap. I dont wanna replace the caliper just for a bleeder screw. I rebuilt all the calipers last year and other than this one bleeder stripped, they're in good shape. Wish me luck.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:55 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too had leaks from the hard line/caliper junction when I replaced the rear calipers on my 74. I had reused the old hard lines and had to torque down on the connection a lot, which stopped the leak. You might need new hard lines. You need to figure out exactly where the leak is coming from tho. It might be the calipers.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 03-20-2003, 06:05 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did all new calipers, flex lines (stainless) and hard lines 2 years ago and had a heck of a time getting the hard lines to stop leaking. I took them off and tighten them again and again and they still leaked where they attach to the trailing arm and met the flex lines. I got lots of advice from forum members and it came down to tightening them down nice and SNUG (tight as possible without snapping the lines) and no more leaks.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to have to do some work as well. I noticed redish fluid just inside of the right front tire. And I've noticed the brake pedal is spongey, but when I checked the brake fluid it was just a 1/4 or 1/2 inch below the top of the brake fluid resevoir.

Get notified of new replies

To Right Rear Caliper Leaking...

Quick Reply: Right Rear Caliper Leaking...