C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez!

GF had her electric fan go out and the bozo who owned the car previously removed the AC condensor and put the fan in front of the radiator......i need to put it back behind the radiator and want to do the serpentine pulley setup that budman did so i need electric........what are you running brand, size, etc. and can ya show me any pics?!?!?!?! :cheers:

***EDIT*** also need info on wiring the switch? there is a positive and a negative wire on the fan....obviously the negative (black wire) goes to ground.....does the red wire attach to the switch i will be buying to put in the head for the turn on???

[Modified by 85_togo, 10:26 AM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez! (85_togo)

Im runnin a stock electric fan from a 87 Buick GN. It pulls 2600cfm. Its wired thru a Painless harness with a 195 degree sender. The fan and surrounding shroud fits inside the stock 73 shroud. In the cooler months I sometimes just run the electric alone and remove the clutch engine fan. In the hotter summer months I run both.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:27 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez! (85_togo)

The best bang for the buck are the 16" 2950 cfm Permacool fans...
They are approx. $90 and move 2950 cfm of air.. I use a Permacool fan on my setup.. One of those fans is enough to keep a non-radical engine cool... I use the Permacool fan in combination with a Flex-a-Lite dual fan setup...

I'm thinking in removing the Flex-a-Lites and to use 2 Permacool fans...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 03-20-2003, 06:48 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez! (GrandSportC3)

2 of you have electric fans??? hmmmmm anybody else? i need some more picture ideas!!!!
Old 03-20-2003, 07:48 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spal 18"
Old 03-20-2003, 07:58 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I went through the same questions a while ago and basically, Spal's win hands down. Do the research and make sure you understand how ALL the fans are rated (they are aparently not all the same at all!). I bought a set on the group purchase a little while ago and they are waiting to be installed.

Old 03-20-2003, 08:30 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez! (pws69)

As soon as I instal the a/c I will also install a Spal to maximize cooling.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:32 PM
ZL1powr
Pro

Love my dual 11" Spals.

Old 03-20-2003, 10:26 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Just received my Spals from Dewitt's. B-ITCHEN!
:hurray:

[Modified by ORVette, 7:28 PM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-20-2003, 10:34 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I just purchased a Flex-a-lite dual electric fan setup from a fellow Corvette Forum member. Hopefully they'll cool my motor good enough. I mainly just switched to electric fans to pick up a couple extra ponies.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:20 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez! (ORVette)

Just received my Spals from Dewitt's. B-ITCHEN!
:hurray:

[Modified by ORVette, 7:28 PM 3/20/2003]
that is what I have as well. Work great for me :cheers:
Old 03-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez! (QuickVet)

keep 'em coming.....what model numbers are you guys using for the single and duals! how do i know if they will fit?
are they pretty much "zip tie" to the radiator for mounting???? do you guys recommend removing the old shroud? doesn't that help assist cooling????
Old 03-21-2003, 12:13 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Mine are the dual 12" Flex a Lites :)

Almost forgot, they came with the wiring kit :yesnod:

[Modified by SmokedTires, 12:14 PM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-21-2003, 12:15 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

do you guys recommend removing the old shroud? doesn't that help assist cooling????
==============

Judging from the shot of the dual spal fans, you would HAVE to remove the shroud. On the other hand, some of those other setups I've seen make me wonder the same thing. I guess (keyword there: guess! ) that if you have enough airflow with the fan, then no shroud is needed.

I have a Q on the same idea though (fans). What about the OEM alternator? Is it enough or do ya need a new one?

<<while-I'm-at-it-itis>>
Old 03-21-2003, 12:23 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez! (SanDiegoPaul)

The shroud is designed for the original mech fan. With the electrics mounted directly to the radiator, you get the pull thru the rad that the shroud is designed for ;) .
Old 03-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez! (SmokedTires)

awesome, that answers my question....guess the shroud comes off!!!!!
any places that carry those fans perhaps in MY local area? or am i stuck with mail order????
Old 03-21-2003, 12:30 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Don't know about your local area, but mail order ain't sooo bad ;) .

Get notified of new replies

To [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez!

Old 03-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez! (SmokedTires)

Don't know about your local area, but mail order ain't sooo bad ;) .
not saying mail order is bad i have had plenty of mail order success stories, problem is, i would like to pick up a set (or one fan) this weekend to get this car back on the road!!!
Old 03-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

The shroud is designed for the original mech fan. With the electrics mounted directly to the radiator, you get the pull thru the rad that the shroud is designed for ;) .
This is only true to a certain extent. If the fan doesn't cover the whole radiator the uncovered areas don't cool as well as they would have with air flow. One of the reasons the Spals are so popular is that they have a shroud that substantially covers the radiator.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:44 PM
4DLuvOfSpeed
Advanced

What's the main advantage of an electric fan? I know they free up some horsepower, but just how much? Also, do they do a better job at cooling than the factory fan with a normal operating fan clutch (i.e.: less than 2 years old)?

Quick Reply: [Electric Fans] who's got 'em, who wants 'em? i need brands and pics pleeeeez!