C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

float adjustment on quadrajet

Old 03-20-2003, 09:28 AM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Default float adjustment on quadrajet

A bit confused on setting the float levels. what points do I use to I make my measurements. And is there a way to make the adjustment while the carburator is still on the car?

Thsi is a new edelbrock 1901 - just want to make sure it is set within factory spec
Old 03-20-2003, 12:08 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I copied the following instructions from lars Qjet tuning paper. If you have not seen it yet, got to http://www.corvettefaq.com engine section, qjet tuning paper by lars. If you are not exactly sure of the measuring points, maybe someone can post a pic. As the instructions state, you have to take the top off the carb. I find this a bit tricky - you have to remove the inside choke rod. and not bend or break the little air tubes coming down from the top - but you can take the top off with the carb still on the engine. The measurement itself is pretty small. I use a little measuring strip provided in a carb rebuild kit. MJ

1. Set the float level.
You’ll be amazed how many people try tuning a Q-Jet without ever checking the float level. An incorrect float level can give you all kinds of symptoms and problems, so get this one set right off the bat.

You have to pull the top of the carb off to set the float level. With the top removed, remove the big phenolic spacer that covers the area around the needle/seat. Hold the float hinge clip firmly seated and push down lightly on the float where it contacts the needle. Measure from the top of the float bowl to the top of the float at the rear edge of the float. Float level should be .375” - .400” for a street-driven car. Adjust by removing the float and bending its lever arm. Never raise the float level by forcing the float against the needle/seat to bend it – this will damage the needle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: float adjustment on quadrajet