C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Steering Pull Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 09:10 PM
99 Torch Coupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Steering Pull Problem

Car is a 1982 with low mileage, today for the first time the steering pulled to the left when braking. It pulls quickly to the left and then straightens out and from that point brakes normally. If you brake very slowly it is hardly noticable, but the harder you stab the brakes the more pronounced it is, but still just that split second. Cusory look did not uncover anything but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:07 PM
radwebster
Pro

Default Re: Help with Steering Pull Problem (99 Torch Coupe)

i bet you figured this out already...but it's the brakes! :D probably just one caliper grabbing a little faster than the others. bleed the brake system, sounds to my like you might have air in the lines someplace, which is causing the side w/o the air to clamp down faster.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:04 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Usually when a car pulls to one direction when braking it's because the brakes on the other side aren't working right. So I would check the right side for leaks, and you should probably bleed the whole system anyways.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:56 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a classic example of weak (old ) brake hoses. BUT first bleed the brakes to make sure it is not just air in one caliper. What happens is ... when you step hard on the brake, the weak hose tries to balloon up, so the car pulls to the opposite side. This takes a fraction of a second ... then all is nornal. They will actually get to the point that when you let OFF of the brake, the pressure in the swollen hose will cause a "dart" back the opposite direction. So when you step on the brake slowly the weak hose is much less noticable. I'd change both front hoses.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experience, pulling brakes usually meant that one or the other side had some type of funk (brake fluid, grease, lube) on the pads or shoes.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 03-20-2003, 10:23 AM
IGTMYKX
Instructor

Does the steering wheel pull to the left, or just the car? I replaced all the bushings on my '76 and a little while later the same thing happened to me. Pulled to the left under hard braking, but not under easy braking. Finally a member of our club suggest that I check all the bushings. Sure enough one of the bushings had split and the only thing remaining was the part of the bushing around the rod. Replaceed the bushing and no further problems.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:29 PM
99 Torch Coupe
Pro

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll check out the bushings closely and if everything looks ok I replace the lines.

thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Steering Pull Problem

Quick Reply: Help with Steering Pull Problem