C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can you identify these headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 07:39 PM
SicChild
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you identify these headers?

Hey, a friend of mine gave me a set of headers he wasn't using anymore and I'm wondering if anyone could take a look at these pics I took and identify them for me. He didn't tell me what type of car they came off of, and I'm wondering if they'd fit on my '79 L48, and if so, what kinda are they and what mufflers should I go with? I'm looking at flowmaster 40 or 50 series.

PS: sorry about the poor image quality. All I have is a webcam.

[Modified by SicChild, 12:40 AM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 07:46 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: can you identify these headers? (SicChild)

I don't have a clue but from the picture top right it looks like the last pipe almost goes straight down. A new set of Hedman headers are not that expensive and you know for sure that they will fit. Something free is not always the cheapest way to go.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:53 PM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: can you identify these headers? (norvalwilhelm)

I don't have a clue but from the picture top right it looks like the last pipe almost goes straight down. A new set of Hedman headers are not that expensive and you know for sure that they will fit. Something free is not always the cheapest way to go.
I'm not sure what you mean by the last pipe...the headers were from a good friend that's not living here anymore. They are in good condition, so why spend extra money (which some people, like me, don't have) when it's not needed.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

My headers look very similar to yours, but I to do not know what kind I have in mine either.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:08 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

If you can find any markings at all (letters? numbers?) that would help, like for example if the letters "H O O K E R" are on them :). Otherwise I think headers tend to all look the same. From browsing part numbers, most headers for corvettes seem to be for corvette only, so the chances of these fitting are probably pretty slim. Without a brand and part number all you can do is pull off the exhaust manifold and see if these headers mate up. You might be able to rule them out just by holding them near your exhuast manifolds to see if they are even close. MJ
Old 03-19-2003, 08:13 PM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: (MNJack)

If you can find any markings at all (letters? numbers?) that would help, like for example if the letters "H O O K E R" are on them :). Otherwise I think headers tend to all look the same. From browsing part numbers, most headers for corvettes seem to be for corvette only, so the chances of these fitting are probably pretty slim. Without a brand and part number all you can do is pull off the exhaust manifold and see if these headers mate up. You might be able to rule them out just by holding them near your exhuast manifolds to see if they are even close. MJ
Thanks for the helpful reply. vette headers are really the specific hey? My friend new they were for my vette, and said they should fit, and he's a big car guy...so I dunno. How much work is involved in taking off the manifold? I'm not a mechanic so......

EDIT: there are no visible markings found.

[Modified by SicChild, 1:14 AM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 08:36 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You could go to a parts store and buy a cheap set of exhuast gaskets and hold them agianst the header to decide if they would fit your motor. If not return the gaskets.
As for the last pipe in picture number two , the extreme right or last pipe doesn't seem to sweep down and back like the headers on my vet do.
The pipe is the one at 6 oclock in the second picture.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:48 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Probably for something like Chevelle/Malibu that has the crossmember under the engine, that's why they are swept back.
Get Dynomax coated & do it right. More HP.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:06 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: can you identify these headers? (Ganey)

Norval, these are for the small-block.

I put a set on mine and soaked the hell out of the manifold bolts for about 2 weeks with PB Blaster. I still had trouble but managed to get the stockers off. Mine fit w/o having to lift the motor but I hear that's a possibility...

Get notified of new replies

To can you identify these headers?

Quick Reply: can you identify these headers?