C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foam filling the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 12:33 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Foam filling the frame?

I remember a thread about someone doing this. If I were to do this at home, what type of foam would I get, and where would I get it? I think it sounds like a good idea both for increasing the strength of the frame and also for keeping moisture out.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 03-19-2003, 01:43 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Foam filling the frame? (jerryjfunk)

I remember a thread about someone doing this. If I were to do this at home, what type of foam would I get, and where would I get it? I think it sounds like a good idea both for increasing the strength of the frame and also for keeping moisture out.

Thanks,
Jerry
Here is the original post by Monty:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=460964

I never saw that anyone here went through with it.
I think there were too many unknowns for an old frame.

Anyone ? :seeya
Old 03-19-2003, 02:38 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

the company is ITW foamseal. their number is (248) 628-2587.
i talked to one of their people last year about it. he said i would likely benifit from this product but it was originally developed for unibody cars (specifically high end imports). it is supposed to be better for them because so much of the body is structural.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:57 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Foam filling the frame? (NHvette)

I would contemplate doing it but only after the inside is treated w/ something like zinc plating or the hot wax (stuff you heat and then spray in, it gets into all the pores)
Old 03-19-2003, 03:07 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did consider doing this but I didn't feel comfortable being the ginny pig. I put to much money into my project to have something go wrong. I read the thread a while ago and there were pro's and con's on both sides. :confused:
Old 03-19-2003, 05:18 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Foam filling the frame? (Twin_Turbo)

[QUOTE]I would contemplate doing it but only after the inside is treated w/ something like zinc plating or the hot wax (stuff you heat and then spray in, it gets into all the pores) [QUOTE]

I definately agree to the point that I would want my frame totally stripped and then tanked to make sure all contaminants were removed, it seems if not done correct it would lead to a rusted out frame very quickly.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:33 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Foam filling the frame? (gdh)

the guy at ITW i spoke to definately recommended having the frame cleaned as best as possible. he suggested hot tank type treatment if the car is disassembled to that level. he also said the stuff has a shelf life, approximately 30 days if i remember correctly. and it has an 8:1 expansion rate so take that into consideration. he estimated a frame like ours would take 8-10 cans but he had never done a full frame car.
if i get my car torn down that far, i'll be a guinea pig.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:51 AM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Foam filling the frame? (clutchdust)

Interesting. I might consider doing this... I have the body back on the frame now, but that doesn't really matter, right?
Old 03-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Why not make the car lighter? Just fill the frame with helium :D

tom...
Old 03-20-2003, 02:08 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Foam filling the frame? (Tom73)

"Why not make the car lighter? Just fill the frame with helium"

I smell and Ebay auction coming up...

FRAME MODIFICATION REDUCE 1/4 TIMES BY 2 SECONDS!!~!!

ATTENTION!!!!!!! THIS IS A MAJOR MODIFICATION FOR CARS THAT ONLY THE PROS KNOW ABOUT!!!!!! FILL YOUR IMPORT WITH THIS SPECIAL FRAME HELIUM THAT WILL KNOCK 20% OF THE WEIGHT OFF YOUR CAR! BUY IT NOW FOR $90 PER CAN (USUALLY 10 CANS NEEDED PER CAR DEPENDING ON SIZE) AND I WILL SHIP FOR FREE!! JUMP ON THIS BEFORE THE COMPETITION DOES!!!!!

Keywords: honda,civic,integra,fastandfurious,ricer
Old 03-20-2003, 02:51 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

and you though that helium thing was a joke? i know a guy who's a dedicated auto-xer and he swears that filling his tires with nitrogen is worth .5-1 second on a 60 second course! then again, so is good driving :lol:
Old 03-20-2003, 06:43 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Foam filling the frame? (clutchdust)

The advantage of nitrogen in the tires is that they do not increase in pressure from heat as quickly as regular air. I believe NASCAR uses nitrogen in the tires as well. Craig
Old 03-20-2003, 07:14 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Foam filling the frame? (CF6873)

craig, i'm not denying it works. i'm just saying that nitrogen filling tires at $20+ per is just a bit much for an auto-x. don't you think? maybe i'm wrong. what's the purse up to at the nationals lately?
Old 03-20-2003, 11:42 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Default Re: Foam filling the frame? (CF6873)

The advantage of nitrogen in the tires is that they do not increase in pressure from heat as quickly as regular air. I believe NASCAR uses nitrogen in the tires as well. Craig
Better stated, it is to take water vapor out of the tire. It's used in aircraft tires to prevent internal ice buildup.

As far as the frame thing goes... I'll stick to POR-15.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:42 PM
biggjimm
Advanced

A friend of mine actually used a simalar product (I dont believe it was the same product mentioned above) to fill the hull of his flat bottom drag boat. And what he did was cut holes in the floor and put the foam in the hull. Where the foam expanded and came up through the floor, he cut it off with a hack saw blade. What he did not know was when the foam dries it develops a tough shiny outer coating that is water proof. But when the coating is removed it is no longer water proof but actually becomes absorbant. His hull was a giant sponge. He thought he was doing the right thing when actually he ruined his race boat. You might want to inquire about this fact with the company you are referring to and maybe even do some tests yourself. After all sales persons have been known to stretch the truth to make a sale. Just be careful. Biggjimm

Get notified of new replies

To Foam filling the frame?

Quick Reply: Foam filling the frame?