C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 01:32 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Pads

My brakes leave dust all over my front wheels, and I'm tired of cleaning them twice a week. What kind of brake pads should I use so that I don't get tons of dust?
Old 03-19-2003, 03:49 AM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Brake Pads (Ben Taylor)

The brake pad itself may not be the problem as it may depend on the type of wheel you have. My stock steel Vette rims wouldn't let a dust mites fart through, but an aftermarket rim with huge gaps would be a different story.

My daily driver has Bendix racing pads and 17x8 Boyd Coddington Smoothies and the only way to stop the dust is polish, polish, polish.

Old 03-19-2003, 09:14 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Default Re: Brake Pads (standup)

I have the stock Aluminum wheels.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:24 AM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Brake Pads (Ben Taylor)

So if it's not the wheels (even though they're still more slotted than my 71's) then you have to consider the brake pads themselves, which I realize is your original post.......brake pad compounds have developed from organic to semi metallic to carbon metallic. The new or aftermarket compounds (e.g. carbon metallic) are a dense material designed to reduce fade under high temperatures, thus improving stopping power, but are not designed for aesthetics (e.g. produce dust). Late model cars suffer from this. Maybe you have an aftermarket (semi metallic or carbon metallic) brake pad and need to fit a stock organic pad???? It's a trade off--good brakes or good looks.

Also, you could try to re-post this topic (e.g '81 brake problems) to attract an opinion from 81 owners.

I hope this helps :)

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pads

Quick Reply: Brake Pads