C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Ignition question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 12:25 AM
Jon69L46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Ignition question

I got a wild hair up my a** and ordered a complete MSD Ignition from Summit. Pro-Billet Tach. Drive Dist, 6AL control box, Blaster 2 coil and the Black MSD wires.

Haven't gotten it yet, but trying to figure where to mount the box. Maybe below the vacuum reserve tank?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks....
Old 03-19-2003, 12:31 AM
frC3
Intermediate

Default Re: MSD Ignition question (Jon69L46)

Jon, I mounted mine in the space inside the right fender(1972 vert), I took out the side grill and bolted the box to the fender itself, using the rubber mounts. It is out of the way and will wire up to the dist without needing to extend the wires. It is HOT!!!! Fred.

[Modified by frC3, 5:34 AM 3/19/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 12:49 AM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I mounted mine, using double sided tape, to the drivers firewall by the fender.

Out of sight and gets air from the vent. Painted it black and run the wires with the vacuum hoses over the brake booster.

Been working for a couple of years that way.

Terry
Old 03-19-2003, 12:49 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Jon....

I'm going in with basically the same set-up as you except for 8.5mm MSD red ignition wires. I finished mounting the MSD box under the overflow tank on the passenger side tonight. You would never even know that was what it was after everything is in.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:10 AM
Jon69L46
Racer

Thanks all.... I was just out cleaning and getting ready for it. Actually quite a bit of room in the wells. I think the driver’s side as well so I can run with the other utilities. It sounds like the wire harness is long enough to accommodate either side.

Jon
Old 03-19-2003, 06:18 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Here mine behind the expansion tank RH side wheel well. I have the exact same sethup but I also bought the 8.5mm MSD wires :yesnod: :yesnod:

You're going to love this system. Don't be afraid to change springs and bushings because it is soooo easy to do.
John
Old 03-19-2003, 06:24 AM
Clink69
Drifting

Maybe below the vacuum reserve tank?

Any other suggestions?
thats where I put mine... You can reach thru the gills to change the pills.. hey that rhymes :lol:
Old 03-19-2003, 07:43 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: MSD Ignition question (Clink69)

I also put mine (Crane HI-6) near the same place as you guys. Actually I put it where the old washer fluid reservoir used to be. But I didn't use any kind of rubber mounts. Has anyone mounted one without the rubber mounts and had problems? I just used some u-brackets and mounted it on its end so that it's sideways.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:11 AM
74BBcherryred
Instructor

Default Re: MSD Ignition question (tshort)

Hi i mounted mine on the fire wall inside the left front fender .Its kind of behind the brake booster ,the instructions said to put it where their is low heat or i to would have put it on the inside of the car on the firewall but i think it gets to hot in there . Its great no problems. Dave :seeya
Old 03-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Jon,

I think you made a good choice on the MSD. I am planning to go this route in the next few weeks. I think that up behind the expansion tank is a good location as others have said. I will be looking around the engine compartment and see if there are other reasonable area to install it....

Keep us updated on your installation progress!

Bob :cool:
Old 03-19-2003, 09:58 AM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

mounted mine behind the passenger dash,keeps it out of the elements,i think this is better than the engine compartment. also used the blaster coil #8207 mounted on the firewall very clean set-up
only problem is the tach drive adapter.

:steering:
Old 03-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: MSD Ignition question (1971corvette)

...behind the passenger dash,keeps it out of the elements,....
:steering:
For 68-77.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Jon69L46
Racer

It's great when the Big Brown Truck pulls up. A little toot on the horn, dog starts barking, gotta love it. I don't know which is the bigger addiction, the car, or all the stuff!! All relative I guess.

That flat spot across from the Vacuum tank on the firewall is a good spot.
Where did you guys get +/- from? I thought the horn relay for the Positive, and the frame I guess for the negative. Not really a convenient spot within the 18" or so ground wire.
Also I figured I would take the other red wire to the fuse block, and plug it in to a "ignition" lug, instead of the original wire at the coil, Right now there is a little over 6 volts on the one wire, and that won't do it. And I'm not sure where the resistor is anyway.

I did get the MSD 8.5 wires as well, just the black ones instead of red.
I should have gotten new plugs and forgot. Which ones would be a good match? Are you guys gapping them wider?
BTW...nice dist. I got the one with the tach drive.

Jon

Old 03-20-2003, 10:36 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Where did you guys get +/- from? I thought the horn relay for the Positive, and the frame I guess for the negative. Not really a convenient spot within the 18" or so ground wire.
Also I figured I would take the other red wire to the fuse block, and plug it in to a "ignition" lug, instead of the original wire at the coil, Right now there is a little over 6 volts on the one wire, and that won't do it. And I'm not sure where the resistor is anyway.

I did get the MSD 8.5 wires as well, just the black ones instead of red.
I should have gotten new plugs and forgot. Which ones would be a good match? Are you guys gapping them wider?
BTW...nice dist. I got the one with the tach drive.
Jon...

I haven't hooked up the wires to the MSD yet either. Dropping the new engine in would help of course. :yesnod: I'm also curious what those with aftermarket ignition boxes are using for their hot, ignition & ground. I'm on the starter side, so I have the frame ground that the block uses so that one should be easy. Maybe use the hot to the starter as the power source? Ignition? I haven't really looked at it yet. Anyone willing to pipe in? And what to do with the coil wires that were originally hooked up now that the MSD & Blaster 2 coil are going in. Wrap'em up and basically discard them or hook them up in conjunction?

As far as spark plug gap... the stock engine on this vette was I think a .035 gap. With this set-up I am gapping .040-.045, but that's with a lopey cam(520 lift), 9.8:1 pistons & Champion racing plugs.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:41 PM
ZL1powr
Pro

Jon, I have the same set up you are installing. I mounted my 6AL box behind the left front grill where it could get plenty of cool air.

Old 03-20-2003, 11:00 PM
74BBcherryred
Instructor

Default Re: MSD Ignition question (ZL1powr)

The biggest problem for failer on the modual is water so try and mount it where it won,t get wet from rain or from washing the car. Dave :auto:
Old 03-21-2003, 12:08 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

There was a past thread with a picture of MSD6 box just behind the firewall inbetween the wipers. It was covered by the hood from rain, cool and easy to access. :yesnod: You might try a search as it posted about a month ago. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Ignition question

Old 03-21-2003, 08:29 PM
biggjimm
Advanced

Good choice. I have the same setup. I mounted my box on the pass. side inner fender. Right in front of where the coolant overflow is. See pic in signature. I got + from the starter wire and the switched + from the switched + lead going to old distributer. You need to ground the - wire to the engine block!!! MSD states this is neccessary to prevent high RPM ignition failures and other misses.Good luck. Biggjimm
Old 03-21-2003, 09:24 PM
74BBcherryred
Instructor

Default Re: MSD Ignition question (biggjimm)

I beleive its the white wire from the msd modual ,that if you put a toggle switch on it and a wire to ground it acts as a kill switch ,no one can start your car unless they know where the switch is ,just a little bonus with this modual Dave :hurray:
Old 03-22-2003, 11:13 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: MSD Ignition question (74BBcherryred)

The biggest problem for failer on the modual is water so try and mount it where it won,t get wet from rain or from washing the car. Dave :auto:

Actually according to a MSD tech the most important item for the box is airflow to keep it cool.
Water isn't a problem unless unit is mounted upside down or on its side.
The 6 and 6A has drain holes for water.
On the advise of ED T I mounted my MSD box on the lower valance in front of the radiator.Plenty of airflow.
Ed had his there for years through al kinds of weather without a problem.
Just my .02. :cheers:

[Modified by 69er, 11:14 AM 3/22/2003]

Quick Reply: MSD Ignition question