C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What valve springs to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 09:00 PM
dlw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What valve springs to buy?

I'm replacing the valve springs in the SR Torquer heads, and I have a question.
1) how can I check to see if the old springs were right?

2) If I dont have the cam card, what can I do to make sure I dont buy the wrong size springs?

(I know, take it to a good machine shop)

I have found info on the web showing how you measure valve springs, but nothing for sizing the spring for a certain cam grind.

Any reference material you can steer me to?

Thanks, Dan
Old 03-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Aaron-74
Drifting

Default Re: What valve springs to buy? (dlw)

I'm using 986 springs with my 262. They'll take up to .560 lift.

Jegs part number 249-986-16
Old 03-18-2003, 11:35 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: What valve springs to buy? (dlw)

Dan your signature says you have a 292 cam but you post you don't have a cam card? Does this mean you can't look up your cam specs on the manufactures website? This isn't making sense.
Do want to measure cam specs without removing cam? Try a dial micrometer mounted on a magnetic block and measure lift at pushrod side of rocker. Now you might get close measuring duration with the same setup but somehow fit up a degree wheel to the crank snout. Full open (or shut) for duration is between .002"-.008" lift depending on cam manufacture. Good luck. :crazy:
292 duration is a lot of camshaft for a street motor let alone a 350. Small springs on a high lift cam are short lived and multi-springs are usually required. The cam manufacture has all that figured out. Multi-springs require machining the head to fit larger diameter. Spring hieght is another skill used here. :yesnod: You may need to remove heads for machining to keep that cam. But my 2cents says to replace that cam with a street bump stick that uses springs that you can replace with head on (unless already off). :skep:
Old 03-19-2003, 09:41 PM
dlw
Racer

Default Re: What valve springs to buy? (cardo0)

Thanks cardO. Thats what I was looking for. Since my earlier post, I did find a cam card for the cam I have (wolverine WG-1011) on crane cams web site, but it sure doesnt give me much info.

The heads are off now, and a rep from comp cams sez he can fix me right up with a set that will work based on the info I gave him so.....

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To What valve springs to buy?

Quick Reply: What valve springs to buy?